Conformed clip (24p CLIP in 25p PROJECT)

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 weeks ago #5092 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Conformed clip (24p CLIP in 25p PROJECT)
Martin,

Conformed clips will be put on the timeline in the AAF with same duration that they took in the FCP project. This means that the project will look the same at a glance, but audio for the conformed clip will go out of sync. X2Pro should include all the audio for a conformed clip that was used in the FCP project, this should mean that you can retime the clip in Pro Tools to get the same as what you had in the FCP Project.

X2Pro uses the <conform-rate> information in the fcpxml to make sure that it includes all the necessary audio for a conformed clip in the AAF.

When X2Pro converts a project, it should tell the user about conform rates, and when they occurred in the project so that they can be recreated in Pro Tools.

We are looking into fixing the bug where the required amount of audio may not be included in the AAF it "Trim embedded audio" is turned on and there small handles configured.

I agree; a "known issues" section would be a useful resource.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jeansemeur
  • jeansemeur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #5090 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur replied the topic: Conformed clip (24p CLIP in 25p PROJECT)
Thank Graeme,

So if i understand well (my english is not so good):

For clip that are conformed manually (like 50p clip in a 25p Timeline) or all clip that have been resynchronized, X2Pro put the original length in the ProTools timeline at the original speed.
But for clips like this one (24p clip in a 25p timeline for example), X2Pro work differently. It put it in ProTool at its original speed but not at its original length (it's the difference with resynch clip)... So you have to grab the end to finally have the original length. Maybe it's because in that case, FCP X still indicate a 100% speed in the Timeline so nothing in the XML indicates a resynchronization. And it seems X2Pro doesn't use the conform rate info ( <conform-rate srcFrameRate="24"/>) in the XML. Using this info could be a way of doing in the this case. And you could put those clips in a "retimed-name_of_the_original role" (or "confrom-blabla") track like X2Pro does now for retimed clips in général. It could help the mixer to identify those clips and grab the end. But the calculation for the duration to add is a bit laborious !!! You have to add a différent duration depending of the length of the clip (grab 0,4 second for a 9,6 seconds clip in ProTool. So if i'm right, you have to grab 4,17% of the orignal clip in ProTools... ).

Could you confirm i have well understood your explanation ?
Are you going to do something for this "bug"... ?
Don't you think you could do a tutorial for resync and conform clips. What to do in FCP X and what to do in ProTools in those cases.
It's not the first time i mention that and i'm sorry to repeat it but i think your knowledge base is a bit poor about those questions.
Maybe you could had this problem in a "bug list" ;)... It could helps to identify if the problem we have is a typical bug or just an individual bug and not spend long hours to determine where it come from ;)...
Thank
Martin

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #5082 by Graeme Robinson
Martin,

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original post.

I think what is in your first screen shot is what I would expect to see in Pro Tools; The clip in FCP took 9.6 seconds (9:15) in the timeline, so the clip in Pro Tools also takes 9.6 seconds in the timeline. The clip will play at original speed, (it will be out of sync with the clip in FCP) which will mean that the end of the clip has been trimmed off.

The part of the clip that has been trimmed should be present in the Pro Tools session, so you should be able to grab the right edge and drag it to the right.

I think there is a bug there where if handles are set to 0s in the X2Pro preferences, then you will not be able to drag the right end of the clip, which means that there is not enough audio in the AAF to reproduce what was in FCP

Does this make sense, and do you agree?

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #5077 by jeansemeur
Does what i was expecting and you would have expected is what happened ?
;)

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #5031 by jeansemeur
Here is the XML

File Attachment:

File Name: MASTERV2TE...5.fcpxml
File Size:6 KB

the conform rate info is in as <conform-rate srcFrameRate="24"/> and the r4 id for format is in 24p.

Thank
Attachments:

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #5030 by Graeme Robinson
What you are expecting is also what I would expect. Can you please attach your fcpxml with the 24p clip in a 25p project?

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #5028 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur created the topic: Conformed clip (24p CLIP in 25p PROJECT)
HI,

As you know, when you edit a 10 seconde 24p Clip in a 25p PROJECT, FCP X conforms it. So in the timeline the clip duration is 09:15. It's the way FCP X work. and this is not considered as "retimed clip" by FCP X (100 % is indicate in the TIMELINE as if it was a 25p clip).
When i use X2PRo to create an AAF and open it in ProTools, it appears that the clip duration is stil 09:15 (see grab 01) like in FCP X. It seem this 24p clip is also conformed in ProTools.

I'm a bit surprise by that because i thought the way X2Pro works is to consider the original media in its original length (and don't "conform" the original Clip)). It's what X2Pro does with retimed clip, the clip stays on is original length on a "retimed-role name" track..
(here a grab go what i was expecting)

So, does it a différent way of working in X2Pro with those conformed clips or the "problem" comes from Pro Tools that "conform" this clip ?
(Does X2Pro changes the frame rate by modifying a metadata in the audio file retrieved from the media)
I'm not sure to be clear.

Thank for your help
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by jeansemeur.

Time to create page: 0.354 seconds