20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks

More
6 years 1 month ago #6258 by Justin
Justin replied the topic: 20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks
Thanks Rob,
I’ve actually done similar, using XtoCC to bring the project back into FCP7. It does involve a bit of cleanup and I don’t fully trust that everything has translated cleanly in a 90 minute project with that method. Then I’m also limited to exporting a bunch of OMFs under 2 GB in size each. I could give Premier or Audition a shot though. Might be worth a look for sure.
In the meantime I’ve just been letting x2pro do it’s translation (which is taking far too long) and plan on driving a physical drive to post audio with the massive AAF on it.
Anyways, thanks for your help. You’ve done more to assist me than the support team has actually offered. They still need to solve this because, as you said, when you’re paying a decent price for an application it should work “out of the box”.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robmaas
  • robmaas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #6254 by robmaas
robmaas replied the topic: 20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks
we.tl/sP9Ra4aP32

I converted your FCPxml with XtoCC to a FCP7 xml for import in Premiere OR Audition. You can export the AAF or OMF (Audition) from there, with Premiere roles will get lost, with Audition I am not really sure. You might need to clean up your tracks, cause you might have many (empty) ones.

When "washing" through Logic it is normal behaviour the handles are ignored.

Hope this gets you a bit further!
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by robmaas.

• robmaas
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #6252 by robmaas
Yes, the product is expensive for what it is. They really need some competitive apps for AAF export to drop price and improve support. I also invested already quite some time getting it to work each time. The price is for a product that works out of the box, which it obviously doesn't.

Also when exporting AAF to sound meaning we're mostly on tight deadlines as it always goes with postproduction. The answers just take too long and aren't always helpful.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6251 by Justin
I did a test with a handful of clips from my project. I told it to use 10 second handles (and trim embedded audio was checked) and once completed I imported it to Logic Pro X. Within Logic some clips had 10 second handles, some had 30, some had 5, etc. So essentially it ignored my request for 10 second handles, with the rest trimmed. There was no rhyme or reason as to why a clip would go one way or another.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of support for a product that I paid good money for. I supplied a copy of my XML and have not been provided any answers. I would really appreciate some results here please.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6250 by Justin
Thanks for this Rob. Unfortunately I do need camera audio though, so that solution doesn’t work for me. I’m still awaiting a proper resolution to this issue.

• robmaas
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #6247 by robmaas
I resolved both this and this:
forum.marquisbroadcast.com/x2pro-problem-reports/1615-no-audio-tracks-defined-in-asset-xx.html#6237

The problem seems to be the camera audio, specifically the Arri Amira/Alexa camera, but might happen with other brand camera's too.

1. Detach audio for these problematic clips
2. Break audio apart from video for these same clips (Shift+CMD+G)
3. Remove the camera audio from the timeline (so you're only left with the sync audio)

In our case we only need the separate sync audio, I am not sure how to fix in case you need the camera audio.

File size are now within reason and also the AAF export works.

Thanks,
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Beasley

More
6 years 1 month ago #6246 by Justin
Yes, I have that option ticked.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6245 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: 20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks
Hi Justin,

Have you got the "Trim embedded audio" option selected? Having this ticked will only take the media that you are using.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6244 by Justin
I have the pro upgrade. The issue persists.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6243 by Daniel Beasley
Hi Oli,

The LE version doesn't allow you to trim the audio you are using. So if you are using 10 seconds of a 20 minute clip then the whole 20 minute clip will be taken.The Pro version does allow you to take just the bits you are using.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6234 by OliClark
OliClark replied the topic: 20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks
I also have this problem (with the LE version - would upgrading help?) - my 48min drama project is generating an AFF of 34.55gb. I know that there will be a lot of repeated multi-track WAV files because that's the nature of the cut - My audio Editor doesn't think he'll be able to work with these files - so I'm a bit stuck...

What should I do?

• robmaas
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #6233 by robmaas
Ok, so one problem is solved, but I get a 40gb AAF for a 15 minute test. That is massive. Audition and Premiere generate an AAF of about 1GB in file size from the SAME 15 minute test.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6230 by TimRobson
TimRobson replied the topic: 20gb+ file size and 100+ tracks
Thanks, we'll take a look and see if we can work out a way to avoid the problem. Sorry that you are having problems.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #6225 by Justin
Thanks for the reply. I saw in a previous reply that you asked for a copy of my xml, but that post has been deleted. Should I still send one along to have a look at? It can be found here (the download option is in the "..." in the top right corner):
www.dropbox.com/s/6b7xa3032x10k32/ITA3%20SOT%20ONLY.fcpxml?dl=0

Unfortunately the paid software is useless for me until this issue is resolved. Hopefully a solution can be found soon. Any idea on a timeline?
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Justin. Reason: included link to XML

More
6 years 1 month ago #6221 by Daniel Beasley
Hi Justin,

The problem is (at least it was for Robmaas) parts of the same wav. file are being used multiple times throughout, which was causing the same metadata to be copied in multiple times, causing a giant file to be created. Unfortunately we haven't found a way to deal with this yet and our developers are looking into how to prevent this.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds