Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?

More
1 year 11 months ago #8146 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
Hi Andreas,

I will email you some details about accessing the update before it is released to the Appstore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #8145 by andreaspfiffner
andreaspfiffner replied the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
Hi, I very much need the 32bit update as well. Is there already a date when the major update will be released?

Thanks a lot
Andreas

More
2 years 2 months ago #8049 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
Hi,
Just a quick update, will aim to have 32 bit support in the next major release.
Yours Sincerely
James

More
2 years 2 months ago #8043 by James Carrick
Dear Dave, Dearnest, and JeanEric,

Product Management are going to review again, we will advise as soon as we have a decision.

Yours Sincerely and Happy New Year to you and yours.

James.

More
2 years 3 months ago #8040 by davecook99
davecook99 replied the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
Yes this is the area that needs support. Has there been any progress? Eager for 32-bit support. Thx

More
2 years 3 months ago #8039 by davecook99
Hi. Have you guys decided to support 32 floating yet? Eager to have this implemented.

More
2 years 6 months ago #7953 by dearnest
dearnest replied the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
having same issue working as Pro Tools/audio post receiver of aaf.

32 bit float headroom not transferred with aaf from fcpro X, as it exports as 24 bit. Would be nice to be able to adjust clipping in Pro Tools session, rather than workaround described below by jeanericblouin:

"Our work around this problem is pretty complicated. When it happens, we need to re-export AIFF files from the problematic audio directly from FCPX and import them as patches in Protools.

So I was wondering if there is an export option in X2Pro allowing us to apply our audio levels from FCPX to our audio files BEFORE converting them to 24 bits float.

Or, even better, will you guys at X2Pro support 32 bit float anytime soon?"

thanks.

More
2 years 6 months ago #7952 by James Carrick
If there is anyone else who would like or need 32 bit creation for non PCM audio, can you please advise. The more people like Dave and Eric who tell us, the more likely it is for us to work on providing this feature.

Many thanks

James

More
2 years 6 months ago #7949 by davecook99
I am having the exact same issue. When will 32-bit export be possible?

More
2 years 6 months ago #7948 by James Carrick
Hi Eric,

To confirm the only part of X2Pro that worries about bit depth is where we encounter non-PCM audio (e.g. MP3). We convert this to PCM audio at 16 or 24 bit. All other audio retains its original bit depth.

Would be very grateful if you could confirm this is the area that you want 32 bit support in ?

Many thanks

James

• jeanericblouin
  • jeanericblouin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #7947 by jeanericblouin
jeanericblouin created the topic: Will X2Pro support 32 bit floating point?
Hello all,

I have been using X2pro to export audio from FCPX for sound mixing in ProTools for a few years. Works great.

For two years now, we have been recording sound on set in 32 bit floating point. This proves to be very handy as my TV show has a lot of scenes involving some talking intertwined with car engine roaring sounds. On countless occasions, 32 bit float has allowed us to navigate easily with such a big difference in audio levels, even when the sound person could not keep up on set.

Both FCPX and ProTools support 32 bits Floating point. Our problem is that X2Pro only allows us to export sound for Protools in 24 bits, which ends up having sound distorsion in Protools that we did not have in FCPX. The way I understand it is that X2Pro converts our 32 bit float audio files to 24 bit audio files as they were recorded on set (sometimes with distorsion when sound person can't keep up with engine roars), paired with the audio level automation that we gave those audio clips in FCPX. Once imported in ProTools, those audio levels are applied to those files that are now only 24 bits. But since we lost the latitude offered by 32 bit float, it does not eliminate audio distorsion as it did in FCPX

Our work around this problem is pretty complicated. When it happens, we need to re-export AIFF files from the problematic audio directly from FCPX and import them as patches in Protools.

So I was wondering if there is an export option in X2Pro allowing us to apply our audio levels from FCPX to our audio files BEFORE converting them to 24 bits float.

Or, even better, will you guys at X2Pro support 32 bit float anytime soon?

Thanks.

Eric Blouin.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds