Problem with crossfade translation

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #5415 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Problem with crossfade translation
Martin,

The screen shot that I provided below was from the project that you attached earlier in this thread (VDG5_TEST_VERSIONCOURTE.fcpxml), and it does show a transition on a J-cut (notice how the centre of the transition is about half a second to the right of the change in expanded audio shown below the transition).

What is also strange is that if the transition is deleted, the change in the clip itself is also not where the centre of the transition was (see attached video clip). I don't know how this is possible.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jeansemeur
  • jeansemeur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #5412 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur replied the topic: Problem with crossfade translation
The problem doesn't seem to come from J or L cut.
It comes from a bug in FCP X. It seems some of the crossfade doesn't produce a real CROSSFADE. It can be seen when you expand audio... There is no add of the needed audio material to make the crossfade. And for "crossfade" that are only at the beginning or at the end, the material is here but no fade can be seen on expanded audio...
But i have to verify that with online média.
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by jeansemeur.

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #5411 by jeansemeur
Hi Graeme,

I'm sorry to say that it's not the case in our movies. All audio have been detached before applying crossfade. So no L or J cut in this case.
It could had been a sort of J or L cut if i had expanded these connected audio but even here it's not the case... and the problem appears on more than 50% of the cut where i put crossfade. So about 150 crossfade missing !!! DO you really think a editor will put crossfade and after that expand these connected audio in order to make a J or L cut. It's just a nonsense !!
I think you could investigate around the fact that it's audio detached from multicam clip...

Martin
PS: the reason i detached audio, is because of the fact that X2Pro translate handle fade in automation (keyframe). And it's not very cool for a mixer. So i detached all the audio and replace handle fade by crossfade.
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by jeansemeur.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #5407 by Graeme Robinson
Martin,

The cross fades that are going missing have been applied to clips that have either J or L cuts. Cross fades in an AAFs must have equal amounts of each clip in them, so X2Pro discards the transitions if a clip has a J or L cut applied to it. That is why those transitions are going missing.

See attached screen shot for an example of a transition applied over a J cut.
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #5394 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Problem with crossfade translation
Dear Martin,

This is our ticket 7200, we have determined what is happening and it has been assigned to Product Management to review and determine how we could cope with the issue.

Yours Sincerely

James

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #5393 by jeansemeur
Hi Graeme,

Have you find an idea to correct that or a way to be sure X2Pro will work as it should ?
Just a new information : This problem cost 2 paid days to the production. It's a bit embarrassing when you are in charge of post production. I think it's a serious problem for every one who work for TV and info about this issu and your progress are welcome... 20 day after i've submit.

Thank

Martin Gosset

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 days ago #5331 by Graeme Robinson
This has been entered on our system as ticket 7200. We will update you when we have made any progress investigating this issue.

We don't need any other files from you. The fcpxml was enough for us to reproduce the issue here.

More
7 years 1 week ago #5329 by TimRobson
TimRobson replied the topic: Problem with crossfade translation
Sorry that nobody has replied yet, we are analysing the FCPXML and will let you know what we find and why the crossfades are lost as soon as we can determine the cause.

• jeansemeur
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #5326 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur created the topic: Problem with crossfade translation
Hi,

I've several problems with crossfade translation from FCP X to ProTools...

Here are images that explain all... (hope so)

(bleu audio comes from a sound device synchronized with several camera clips. Green audio are from camera).
I had problem on a first AAF with the sound mixer because he didn't like automation and wanted crossfade. What i can really understand (it's really urgent X2Pro can convert "handle fade" (fade obtained with "button" in FCP X) to crossfade (in Pro Tools) ).
So i've detached audio in order to be able to replace (as often as possible) handle fade by a crossfade in FCP X.

And that is what happens on hundred of transition...

Examples :

2 crossfade lost

1 crossfade lost for 2 audio on the same track => so lack of audio material ( a big problem if you don't have big enough handle)

3 crossfade lost and lack of audio material... even if audio are not on the same Pro Tools track...

several crossfade lost (this time on detached audio from camera not sound device))

You can find an XML of a short part of the movie

File Attachment:

File Name: VDG5_TEST_...E.fcpxml
File Size:309 KB

I can send you the AAF if you want (580 Mo fro this short part of the movie)

Thank for your help
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by jeansemeur.

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds