First Time X2Pro Use

More
6 years 5 months ago #5884 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: First Time X2Pro Use
The reason that these clips are coming back 'forwards' instead of being reversed like they had been set in FCP X is because reverse clips are treated as being retime and X2Pro does not support any of the retiming options in FCP X (Slow, Fast,Reverse,etc.).

X2Pro does create a .txt file which explains it will move them all to the reverse role so when the aaf. is opened in Pro Tools, you can see which tracks need to be edited to be reversed again.

(The retimed clip at 00:02:03.22 has been moved to role retimed-effects.Reverse)

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Djchad72
  • Djchad72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5875 by Djchad72
Djchad72 replied the topic: First Time X2Pro Use
Attached is the XML.

You should see two specific piece of media in the library referred.
Space Log
Electric Fly By

Space Log will appear 7 times in the timeline and assigned to two sub-roles under "Effects" parent role. Forward and Reverse. The clips tagged with Reverse are actually playing in reverse on the timeline in Final Cut Pro. The clips tagged as Forward are playing normal (forward). The Electric Fly By is tagged as Effect > Added and only used once on timeline.

When X2Pro builds the AAF file it has correct placement of each clip on the Logic Pro timeline. The subroles are respected with individual tracks. 2 for each role. The issue is the clips in the Reverse track are all playing forward. When I try to apply Logic's Play in Reverse, it plays that region/clip in reverse. However all other clips have a variation that is not predictable. For instance, one clip in the "forward" track played the beginning of the clip, but then has a drop in wave form and then is playing backwards.

My solution was to create a second Space Log Audio File (i.e. Render in place). Which then let me retime the SpaceLog audio on the Reverse Track without affecting the SpaceLog Clips on the Forward track.

If my description of the issue is not sufficient, I can perhaps try a screen shot. Just let me know
Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #5867 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: First Time X2Pro Use
Hi Djchad,

Glad you solved your issue. It is difficult for us to determine if there is a way to slimline this without a copy of your fcpxml and details of which clips in the aaf are incorrect. If you can provide the details and your xml then we can investigate.

thanks,

Daniel

• Djchad72
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5860 by Djchad72
Djchad72 replied the topic: First Time X2Pro Use
I actually think I figured out the issue.

First, I had checked "trim embedded audio". I unchecked it and generated another AAF file.

Second, Since there is only a single audio file (Space Log - is name of the sound effect from FCPX library), when I set the region (which is really the file) to play in reverse... it seems to mess with all the other regions since they are linked to the same file.

My solution, bounced the regions on that track to new file. I set those regions to play in reverse, and poof! It all worked. Correct placing, smooth playback, etc...

If I missed an option to check to slimline this in future, please let me know. If not, it might be good if there is 1 sound file, but multiple roles with retiming applied... it would be good to send 2 copies of the same file into the AAF to re-apply the stand alone processing.

This was a small project with 1 track and 3 regions. So no biggie. In a bigger project, this would be a lot of work to reapply.

• Djchad72
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5859 by Djchad72
Djchad72 created the topic: First Time X2Pro Use
Hello,

I am using x2Pro to round trip FCPX to LPX. I’m starting with a very simple project. I have 2 sounds from the FCPX library. The first plays forward & as it tapers off, I play same clip backwards. The other clip is just a briefs sound effect. I saved the timeline to Final Cut XML and used X2Pro to create the AAF file. I open it in Logic Pro & tracks look great. The placement also looked good except I noticed these issue:

The reverse clips were not reversed anymore.
The clips had extra tails on them... which caused there to be a gap between playback vs overlapped clips.
There is a pop between clips.

I need to play with it further. I ran out of time after these observations. But I was hoping I might get some guidance so I focus on the right areas to get a better result.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds