Files are not AAFs but GenRandom0

• berniebeaudry
  • berniebeaudry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6626 by berniebeaudry
berniebeaudry replied the topic: Files are not AAFs but GenRandom0
I'll have him do a conversion of the whole movie doing the sharing through Final Cut. It will still probably create a GenRandom file. I'll then attempt to load that into Pro Tools and see what happens. Won't be until this weekend or Monday thought.
BB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Beasley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6625 by berniebeaudry
I'll have him do a conversion of the whole movie doing the sharing through Final Cut. It will still probably create a GenRandom file. I'll then attempt to load that into Pro Tools and see what happens. Won't be until this weekend or Monday thought.
BB

More
5 years 7 months ago #6623 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Files are not AAFs but GenRandom0
It appears that his Mac doesn't recognise the AAF file type. Since you were able to create them and view them in finder correctly, it definitely seems to be just his end. The end of the file still has .aaf so you should be fine to ignore the "GenRandom0" and when you receive the aaf files they should work just fine. Are you able to try and create another aaf yourself to see if it does work?

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6620 by berniebeaudry
Keep in mind that we also broke up the movie into chunks after converting the whole project had fatal errors four times.
We didn't get any fatal error messages trying one of the chunks but we didn't get an AAF just the GenRandom0 files.
Again we did have one successful conversion.

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6619 by berniebeaudry
Hello Daniel,
Here are some files I collected from my client. The two smaller txt files were created the first time he tried to convert the entire film. The one that successfully created an AAF is the one labeled Tiffany for Bernie. The largest file was also created when he attempted to convert the whole project. The result of all of these was the GenRandom0 file creation with the exception of the Tiffany for Bernie file.
I have no idea why I was able to get one AAF created but no others. I also included the info he got the first time he tried the conversion.
Bernie
Attachments:

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6618 by berniebeaudry
Sorry I can't. It all is on his computer which is across town and I'm working on other things unrelated to this. He is likely just getting up and will soon see my request for the XML file. I won't be able to get to it until tonight for . His computer is very full and slow, plus he needs to be working on other unrelated projects so its hit and miss with him as to when he can do any experimenting. I may stop there this afternoon to pick up the drive that has a successful conversion so maybe we can work on it more then. I appreciate your tenacity to help solve this.

More
5 years 7 months ago #6617 by Daniel Beasley
If you are unable to get the xml just yet, would you mind creating a test project and putting that through X2Pro to see if that creates an AAF? This should help us figure out if its a problem with the xml or if it is something else causing this.

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6616 by berniebeaudry
Before we tried sharing I believe we did try importing the XML into X2Pro with the same result. I don't think we dragged and dropped though. We did set up all of his sources in X2Pro. His music sources are in iTunes. He did list that in the sources area. Would that be a problem? Still not sure how I did one successful conversion but now it isn't working. I'm trying to get the XML file to send, but not sure when I'll get it. He also let FCPX assign all the roles. I know it'll be a mess if I ever get it into Pro Tools but he doesn't have time to fine tune anything.

More
5 years 7 months ago #6615 by Daniel Beasley
Hi Bernie,

Normally when an AAF has been created X2Pro also creates a text file which is just a little report about that specific conversion(Basically just a text file of your screenshot in Step 16). I have never seen it create a "GenRandom0" file before. In Final Cut would you be able to export your xml to desktop, then drag and drop it into X2Pro and try converting it again and seeing what happens? Simply go to File > Export xml > save.

If you're still having this problem then it would be worth us taking a look at your xml file.

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6614 by berniebeaudry
Thanks for your help! I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Is the XML file likely missing a .txt file? Does that file tell the computer what type of file i.e.: AAF the conversion is supposed to be? Did you take a look at my attached PDF? I'll try to get a copy of the XML but I'm not sure about the rest of the info you asked for. The dialogue windows all say things are working fine with the exception that its creating a GenRandom0 file. Without understanding how the software works exactly I'm at a disadvantage.

More
5 years 7 months ago #6613 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Files are not AAFs but GenRandom0
Dear Bernie,

X2Pro will only create an AAF with a sidecar .txt file. If your client can forward the XML he is using, and ideally a copy of the text in the X2Pro window as it processes the XML, as I assume he cannot find the associated .txt file if he cannot find the AAF it was for.

Yours sincerely

James

• berniebeaudry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6612 by berniebeaudry
berniebeaudry created the topic: Files are not AAFs but GenRandom0
Working with a client that wants me to sweeten a 1.5 hour doc. Using X2Pro to convert the audio for use in Pro Tools. He broke the movie up in chunks and also has the complete movie. We cannot get the conversion to work reliably. I was able to convert one chunk to AAF following the sharing directions on the X2Pro website. I left the instructions with him and he tried to do the rest of the project chunks and followed the directions perfectly. I'll try to attach his step by step experience. The file type generated is called a GenRandom0 and are somewhat small compared to the AAF I was successful converting. I can't see that he's doing anything different than I did yet its not working. Getting very frustrated and would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks!
Bernie
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds