Static (white noise) on RED R3D clips

• britim
  • britim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago #7281 by britim
britim replied the topic: Static (white noise) on RED R3D clips
Thank you for your quick response Tim.

After reading your message I realized that while the problem clips originally came from the mentioned RED One MX, the clips in the timeline were actually referencing ProRes transcodes of the original R3Ds. In short R3Ds were not used to make the AAFs. ProRes transcodes of those RED R3D clips were being used instead.

You mentioned the byte order (little endian/big endian) as being a potential symptom of the white noise I heard in the AAF.
I did see that the ProRes files that had the static issue were all big endian. I notice that most of the ProRes exports seem to be little endian.

I converted the ProRes files to little endian (used FCP X to re-export the clips as a multichannel ProRes quicktime and made sure the number of audio channels matched) and re-linked those versions to the clips in FCP X's browser window.

The relink worked fine. I made a new FCPXML and opened it in X2Pro so it could create a new AAF.
The new AAF worked and I can now finally go to bed (for a few hours at least).

Your mention of the "endianness" was a very valuable clue on solving things on my end so thank you for that.
I made those transcodes a couple of years ago in RED's REDCINE X software and likely had the byte order set wrong.

Again thank for the quick response and your help.

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #7280 by TimRobson
TimRobson replied the topic: Static (white noise) on RED R3D clips
If the Audio is being 'damaged' when X2Pro copies it then it is probably a R3D SDK problem, Apple recently changed the way that we have to extract some Audio (latest OS version only supports 64 bit applications and the old methods had some 32 bit ones) and it is quite likely from your description that the files have mis-described 'endianness' and when extracted with the new method the result is 'noise'. We are currently waiting for a new R3D SDK for another problem so it may be that this will fix your problem. In the meantime the workaround would be to use a format conversion application to extract the audio from the R3D files and create some other format then replace the RED clip audio with this 'new' audio. It would also be helpful if you could supply us with a small clip from your camera so that we can check it over.

• britim
  • britim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #7279 by britim
britim created the topic: Static (white noise) on RED R3D clips
I just had to deliver an AAF for a mix and am experiencing an issue
where all of my R3D clips in the AAF have loud static instead of the original audio.

The same clips are naturally fine in the original FCP X sequence.
This project has audio from a variety of sources (Tascam, Canon DSLRs, Sony DSLRs, and RED)
but the only footage with this issue is the RED files.

I have used XtoPro in the past with footage from this same camera and had good results
(except for an issue in 2017 that was related to a RED SDK).

The RED camera is a RED ONE MX.

Would love advice on this matter as we're trying to get this film onlined and mixed pronto.

Thank you for your time.

Brian
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by britim.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds