Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools

More
2 years 7 months ago #7959 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools
Hi Lisa,
Apologies for the delay, I thought I had answered you but obviously I could not have hit the submit button. R3D in itself would not be a problem as they supplied us with the SDK's so we can read them as if they were supported in AVFoundation. It looks like retiming was applied in the edit.
Yours sincerely
James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LisaBerlin
  • LisaBerlin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 7 months ago #7958 by LisaBerlin
LisaBerlin replied the topic: Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools
Hi James,

thank you for your reply. Strangely we have shot the project in 25fps, the timeline is in 25fps and no retiming has been used. If there is a bug, it must have smuggled in somewhere down the road while editing it.
My Dop suggested there might be a problem with us filming on a RED - could that be an issue?

Thank you, best wishes,
Lisa

More
2 years 7 months ago #7957 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools
Hi Lisa,

Looking at the AAF creation we can see there are re-timed clips and a conform rate applied.

Essentially X2Pro doesn't support retiming or conforming, and clips will be at the original speed in the AAF.

X2Pro does not modify the audio file, we will however modify the duration of a clip to match. If I give you an exaggerated example, if a clip is at half speed in the FCPXML we will double the length of the clip in the timeline in the AAF but we will not alter the speed of the audio. The notes in the sidecar text file is essentially a list of the start times of these re-timed clips so that it can be supplied to who ever is doing the audio finishing that they will have to look at retiming's or conform rates for those clips.

A conformed clip is one that FCP X has automatically retimed because the frame rate of the clips was very close the the frame rate of the project. For example when a 23.98fps clip is used in a 25fps project, FCP X will play the clip at just over 104% speed. FCP X does not alert the user when it conforms clips.

Hope the above helps.

Yours Sincerely

James

• LisaBerlin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 7 months ago #7956 by LisaBerlin
LisaBerlin replied the topic: Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools
Hi James,

thank you very much for your fast reply.
I'm attaching the files you asked for.

Truely hoping there is a solution for this,
thanks again and best wishes,

Lisa
Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago #7955 by James Carrick
Hi Lisa,

Could you attach the FCPXML, the sidecar file (txt) that gets created with the AAF and if possible a screen shot in PT highlighting were you see the issue.

Many thanks

James

• LisaBerlin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 7 months ago #7954 by LisaBerlin
LisaBerlin created the topic: Multi-channel audio files NOT in SYNC after importing AAF to ProTools
Hello there,

I'm looking for help with a film project. It was edited on FCPX, and we started sound design yesterday - that is, we wanted to start, but the AAF file created with X2Pro unfortunately produced .wavs that start at the same frame, but after only a few seconds they have a massive gap in synchronity. It is throughout the whole project and my sound designer and I are pretty desperate.

Does anyone have an idea where this error might stem from? Has this happened to anyone ever before?

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds