Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #8620 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
It doesn't look like there has been any news from Apple about any support for MXFs in AVFoundation. As previously mentioned the best workaround for now might be to select all the media you are using in the FCPX project, right click and 'transcode' it.

We are always chasing Apple whenever we can to try and get them to add support, hopefully having more and more people asking them for it might get them to do so one day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #8608 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
Hi David,
Product Management have just come back from NAB, will ask them whether there is any update or movement from Apple with regards to MXF support in AVFoundation.

Regarding saving space, currently as you say the media would have to be supported by AVFoundation i.e. ProRes, but as you rightly say that will be a pain to do.

I believe Noel is suggesting keeping the MXF as is (but the archives are correspondingly bigger) and waiting for either Apple to support MXF or a way of automatically converting MXF to ProRes on import of a project.

Personally I think the latter has more of a chance of occurring so I will have a look to see what is possible in the next FCP beta.

Yours Sincerely

James.

• davidmshore@yahoo.com
  • davidmshore@yahoo.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #8607 by davidmshore@yahoo.com
davidmshore@yahoo.com replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
By "archive the original MXF" do you mean copy to another ext drive?

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #8606 by Noel Jones
Noel Jones replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
Hi,
Unfortunately we haven't heard anything back from Apple yet.

Regarding your MXF files. If you need to revisit old projects it may be better to archive the original MXF and hope Apple add support for that format.

Reiterating James comment below:-
"It would help if end users request this directly from Apple, as the more that do, Apple is more likely to respond positively to the request".

• davidmshore@yahoo.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #8605 by davidmshore@yahoo.com
davidmshore@yahoo.com replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
1. Any updates on Apple support for MXF creation in AVFoundation?
2. Barring that, what would you advise for saving space when 95% of my media is MXF and I will often have to revisit old projects? I make promos and trailers from hour long shows. Should I manually chop out of those hour-long mxf files just the clips I used, convert them to ProRes and discard the rest? Unbelievably time consuming... Or should I just bite the bullet and buy more drives? Thanks.

More
1 year 4 months ago #8516 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
Dear David,

Fundamentally we have to use AVFoundation from Apple, we have asked and in the last discussion with Apple the topic was raised again about support for MXF creation in AVFoundation but we unfortunately have had no definitive answer, we will keep asking. It would help if end users request this directly from Apple, as the more that do, Apple is more likely to respond positively to the request.

Yours Sincerely

James

• davidmshore@yahoo.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #8515 by davidmshore@yahoo.com
davidmshore@yahoo.com created the topic: Any plans to make Worx4x compatible with MXF files?
It would be earth shaking...

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds