retiming issues but I cant figure out where

More
1 year 3 months ago #8548 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: retiming issues but I cant figure out where
Hi Filmyak

We have an idea why even when you have dragged it back to 100% it might not be seen as 100% in FCP, do you have another example of an xml where this has occurred, as we might be able to work around this "non defined user functionality" in FCP (not allowed to use the b word for some body else's code :-)

Regarding TC, just for the benefit of others, the XML only describes seconds and their fractions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Filmyak
  • Filmyak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #8547 by Filmyak
Filmyak replied the topic: retiming issues but I cant figure out where
Hi, James. As discussed via email -- just sharing here for other people who may have the same issue -- we've found the issue. It's a bug wherein a clip that has been retimed by dragging the edge of the clip, and then dragged back to 100% speed, sometimes FCP doesn't see it as exactly 100% speed. The FCP team are aware of this.

Bummer that the XML doesn't use sequence timecode at all. That would have made it much easier to find the culprit. Oh well!

And thank you!!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Filmyak.

More
1 year 4 months ago #8544 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: retiming issues but I cant figure out where
Hi Filmyak,

I guess first thing to say trying to find a retiming event crawling through the fcpxml itself is a nightmare, all values in the xml are in seconds and fractions not in TC. Normally we would say import the sequence back into FCPX and it will show the TC values.

If the TC values don't match then the first thing we would look at is whether it is the same FCPXML. FCPX applies retiming automatically and relies on the software in the FCPX player to compensate, we don't have that luxury when exporting to ProTools, the media has to be as it is and we have to notify the user where the retimings have occured.

I guess the thing to look at is how the media was originally recorded as I would be suspicious that it was not all DF 29.97

Happy to look at the new FCPXML, you should just be able to attach it to this topic.

Yours Siincerely

James

• Filmyak
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #8543 by Filmyak
ps - how do I attach the new XML to this thread?

• Filmyak
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #8542 by Filmyak
edit... did a new xml and discarded unused clips.
Got protools trial to see the issue.

first -- still don't understand why the x2p error log has random timecode that doesnt relate to my sequence timecode. if the timecode was correct, it'd have made my life much easier.

second, now I see where the problems start. but I can't figure out why. randomly, towards the end of the final act, the retiming kicks in. but it's the same source audio. I can't see any reason why it began doing retiming.

• Filmyak
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #8541 by Filmyak
Filmyak created the topic: retiming issues but I cant figure out where
Working on a multicam show. 5 cameras, all shooting 29.97. 8 channels of audio, already married to the cameras.

I used the program master (line cut) audio, on an FCP sequence also at 29.97.
My program timecode in the edit starts at 1:00:00:00.

But I have a TON of retiming messages after the X2P conversion. I'd love to figure out where they are... but the timecode in the log doesn't match my sequence timecode so I can't even start figuring out where the problem is.

Mixer is waiting on me to fix this. I'm currently holding up the process because I can't figure out where the problem lies. Any help would be massively appreciated. Attaching the XML if it helps at all.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds