FCPX & RED R3D files!

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #577 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: Re: FCPX & RED R3D files!
Jason,

We're just starting to do some testing of new RED support in X2Pro. The more R3D files we have, the more thorough we can be in our testing.

Were you able gather those files and upload them yet?

Regards

Graeme Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 week ago #512 by graeme robinson
That's great news. Thank you for doing this for us. I have sent you FTP details in a private message.

That's interesting, it definitely makes sense to use multicam rather than compound clip then, until X2Pro supports audio extraction from r3d files.

• jpizzy
  • jpizzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #511 by jpizzy
jpizzy replied the topic: Re: FCPX & RED R3D files!
The director has given me permission to give you guys some footage! Just get me the FTP info and I'll upload a few shots with audio recorded directly to the camera and a few where there's no audio but I'll include the external audio that was recorded.

I will say that when i used the multicam feature to sync my audio and video then selected the external audio track as the primary audio it automatically disabled the audio track associated with the R3D file, but if i created a compound clip to sync the audio and video it was one that caused a problem. I'd have to select it and then use the inspector to disable the R3D's audio track.

Looking forward to lending a hand!

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 week ago #509 by graeme robinson
r3d files with audio would be most helpful, but a lesser number of clips without audio will also be useful. Basically the bigger the variety of r3d clips that we can get hold of (different cameras, frame rates, resolutions, bit depth, sample rate, channel numbers, etc) the more confident we can be that we've got full support.

• jpizzy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #508 by jpizzy
Thanks a ton, your suggestions made everything work! I really appreciate your customer service! Also, I'm checking with the Director to see if they'll give permission to let you guys have some clips from the movie to help in your development of the app! I'll let you know as soon as they give me the thumbs up! What sort of clips would be beneficial? Most of the clips have no audio, but a couple do, most of the audio was recorded separately, but i could get you some of each if that would help.

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 weeks ago #505 by graeme robinson
We're working on supporting extraction of audio from r3d files in X2Pro. It would be great if we could get a few samples from users who want this feature.

Is anyone able to supply some R3D sample files? I can give FTP details if necessary.

• jpizzy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #502 by jpizzy
Thanks so much! I will certainly try all of the suggestions and check out the linked resources you provided! Thanks so much for your help!

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 weeks ago #500 by graeme robinson
Hi Jason,

As it says in the product description in the app store "R3D media is not supported. Projects with R3D video can be exported with their non-R3D audio by either disabling the R3D media by selecting it in the timeline and pressing ā€œVā€, or from within the Media Inspector, Audio Tab, Channel Configuration, Deselect All Channels."

To elaborate; X2Pro does not support extracting audio from .R3D files because it uses the QuickTime framework to extract audio which doesn't support .R3D files. The only way of reading audio from .R3D files is to use the RED SDK which X2Pro does not use.

There is a forum thread about RED getting X2Pro to work with RED clips here . To summarise, there are a couple of options if you are using R3D clips.
  • If you are using external audio, you can disable the audio on the RED clips in you project and X2Pro will not try to include that audio. To do this, you must disable all the audio tracks in the inspector panel, not just disable/mute the clip in the timeline. You could alternatively make a backup of your project and then replace all R3D clips with gaps, which might be slightly quicker.
  • If you are using the audio from the R3D files, it gets a bit trickier. In order for X2Pro to be able to include the audio in the AAF, it will have to be extracted from the R3D file (into a mov/wav/aiff) and then used in your project. As in the above suggestion, the original audio tracks from the R3D file will have to be disabled in the inspector panel. There are a number of suggestions in the forum thread I mentioned earlier about how to extract the audio from the R3D files and into a mov/wav/aiff. Once you have external audio you can either take the R3D clips offline and relink or use FCP X's sync feature to match it up to your R3D clips before disabling the original audio from the R3D clips.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if any of it needs clarification.

• jpizzy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #499 by jpizzy
jpizzy created the topic: FCPX & RED R3D files!
I am currently trying to wrap up a feature length film and i need to get AAFs to the sound design firm ASAP, I purchased the app yesterday tested it by exporting one of the scenes and when they got the files everything worked fine. Today I'm trying to export the entire film and I keep getting the error below. I go into the timeline and disable the clips mentioned however, each new XML export and conversion attempt results in a new error message and clip name! I am thoroughly frustrated and need someone to help if at all possible! Am I attempting to export too much? Do I need to export each scene individually? I am feeling like i just flushed $60 bucks down the tube! Failed to include the following: FCPX 10.0.8 and working with RED R3D footage shot on a Scarlet.

Attachment ScreenShot2013-04-02at1.18.07PM.png not found

Attachments:
Last Edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by jpizzy. Reason: left out info

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds