Retiming

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #699 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: Retiming
Hi Lionel,

All auditions in an FCP X project must be finalised prior to exporting otherwise X2Pro does not know what audition it should be including. If you finalise the audition in your project and re-export the fcpxml, X2Pro should be able to convert it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #698 by lionelrigal94
lionelrigal94 replied the topic: Retiming
Hello,
I just finish 3 video projects exports with no problems, but for the last I had this message (attachments)
This last project have the same technical specifications than the 3 before
thank you for your answer

lionelrigal94
Attachments:

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #617 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: Re: Retiming
When you use clips in an an FCP X project that are a similar frame rate to project frame rate (e.g. 23.98 clips in a 25 project), instead of performing a sample rate conversion, FCP X simply retimes the clips. This means that a 23.98 clip in a 25 project will play at ~104% speed, or a 25 clip in a 23.98 project will play at ~96% speed.

To clarify; this only happens with similar frame rates. If the difference is larger, like 25 vs 29.97, FCP X will not retime the clip, but will instead perform a frame rate conversion which leaves the audio at the correct speed.

When FCP X applies this retiming "effect", it doesn't tell you, it just does it, and when you export the FCPXML, the retiming is listed as an effect on the clip.

X2Pro does not retime audio, so any clips that have a retiming applied will be copied into the AAF at the source speed. This will mean that every clip that was retimed in FCP X will start at the right point in the AAF, but will drift out of sync over time. The duration of the clip in the AAF timeline will be correct, unless the clip was slowed down in FCP X and there is not enough of the master clip to cover the duration when played at the original speed. In this case the clip will be shorter in the timeline than you might expect.

There are two ways to deal with this:
1. Retime your clips in Pro Tools after X2Pro has converted the project
2. Change the framerate of your clips to match the framerate of your project BEFORE using them in FCP X. This will mean that FCP X doesn't have to perform any retiming.

I'm not sure why you couldn't attach an FCPXML. I've just done it here without any problems. What web browser and version are you using? Was the file extension "fcpxml", or just "xml"?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years 10 months ago by graeme robinson.

• chabb
  • chabb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #611 by chabb
chabb created the topic: Retiming
I have a lot of Retiming error in the log of X2Pro after converting XML from FCP 10.0.8.
what do i have to do in FCP to avoid these retiming error ?

Can we mix 23,98 fps, 25p pfs or 50i files in the FCP timeline and use X2Pro without retiming error ?
How differents fps files are seen an converted by X2Pro ?

thanks

(I've join a xml file but it doesn't appear in the attachement insert at the bottom of this windows. WHY ???)

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds