dealing with pro tools file size limit

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #743 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: dealing with pro tools file size limit
I have private messaged you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jak3fx
  • jak3fx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #742 by jak3fx
jak3fx replied the topic: dealing with pro tools file size limit
Thanks for the reply Graeme. I'm working with the largest film and TV post house in New York (if you private message me am happy to give full details). They are on Pro Tools 10.

I had hard time believing the limit and so insisted on not splitting my timeline up at first. The 5.5 gig aaf would indeed open for them but would not function. It showed as a 16 min file length. Other weird stuff. In order to check the AAF i re-imported the XML I used to create it into FCPX and the timeline was totally correct. We therefore decided the problem was file size related.

Indeed, the 4x aaf's I created by disabling 3/4 of timeline at a time loaded great and sync'd perfectly with picture reference. (i actually replaced with gaps 3/4 not disable, but if i did again I would disable. either way this created 4 aaf's that are the full length of the project, but 3/4 blank).

Perhaps there is a 4gig limit (I have done some more googling). Who knows. But regardless, this post house will require smaller file sizes and if you want the film and TV narrative world using your plugin, they'll need to split files.

Thanks!

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #739 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: dealing with pro tools file size limit
Pro Tools does not have a 2GB limit on the size of AAF that it will open. I have just created a 6.27GB AAF using X2Pro and it opened up just fine in Pro Tools 10.3.5 and 11.0.0. It did take quite a long time for the clips to come "online", but that is somewhat expected because Pro Tools had to extract 6.27GB of audio files and write them out to WAV files on disk.

In fact, Avid software will create AAFs that are over 2GB in size. I re-exported my Pro Tools session as an AAF with embedded audio and Pro Tools 11.0.0 created an AAF that was 6.27GB in size

I have heard of a 2GB limit to the size of AAF files, but that was some time ago, and I think the limit got removed in versions of Pro Tools after 7.1. What version of Pro Tools are you using? Could you please explain what happens when you try to open your large AAF in Pro Tools?

There is an option in X2Pro to "Trim embedded audio", if you are not already using this it might help you keep your AAF file sizes down. If you choose t o use this option, you can configure the handle length in the X2Pro preferences window. This feature is not available in X2ProLE (unless the Pro upgrade has been purchased).

• jak3fx
  • jak3fx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #736 by jak3fx
jak3fx created the topic: dealing with pro tools file size limit
is there a best workflow for feature length/long format FCPX projects when exporting with X2Pro

the aaf x2pro creates for me is 5.5 gigs. protools has a 2 gig limit. but there doesnt seem to be any options within x2pro to split the aaf?

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds