Not a WAV file or too many audio channels

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1019 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Not a WAV file or too many audio channels
Hi Ian,

By default X2Pro will extract the audio from your media files and embed it all in your AAF. There are many benefits to using this method. To name a few:
  • You get a single file containing everything you need to work with the audio in Pro Tools which can easily be moved between machines (e.g. sent to a different location for audio finishing).
  • You don't need to do any relinking in Pro Tools.
  • You know that Pro Tools will be able to access all the audio because X2Pro has converted it all to single channel PCM.

• There is an option that will make create an AAF that only references the media. This can be useful in some situations, like if you are concerned about disk space and you are using Pro Tools on the same machine as FCP X, so you are able to relink to the original media files in Pro Tools, but there is a are some limitations imposed by Pro Tools when using this method:
  • Pro Tools will only relink to audio in a wav file (it won't relink to audio in a mov file)
  • Pro Tools will only relink to the first track in a multi channel wav file (you can't relink to a second mono or stereo track in a wav file).

• The error in your console log tells me that X2Pro is saying that there is a clip in your project that has audio and is not a wav file. The clip was called "Daltonizm_01_1". From looking at your FCPXML, I can see that this is a mov file:
  • /Volumes/4TB Thunder/CHUDO/dal'tonizm/Daltonizm.fcpbundle/Daltonizm/Original Media/Daltonizm_01_1.mov
  • As mentioned above, X2Pro knows that Pro Tools can't relink to the audio in that mov, and so is refusing to create an AAF that would cause you problems.

There is a section in the X2Pro preferences (under the Media Handling tab) where you can choose what X2Pro should do when it encounters media that can't be referenced. The default setting is to show an error (this is what you are seeing), but you can change this option to Embed the media, and this would prevent the error, but this probably isn't the best solution for you...

From looking at your fcpxml, I can see that only 8 of your clips are single channel wav files and choosing to reference WAV files in place, but embed media that can't be referenced would only stop these 8 clips from being embedded. The rest of the clips would be embedded, so this option wouldn't save you much space. Add to this the complexity of relinking to these files, and I suspect it's not worth referencing them at all. Choosing no to reference any files in place would also prevent this error, and would give you a single AAF file with all the benefits mentioned above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crushback
    • crushback's Avatar Topic Author
    • Fresh Boarder
    • Fresh Boarder
    More
    10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1018 by crushback
    crushback replied the topic: Not a WAV file or too many audio channels

Attachment X2pro.log.zip not found

Attachments:
    Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by crushback.

• crushback
    • Fresh Boarder
    • Fresh Boarder
    More
    10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1017 by crushback
    crushback replied the topic: Not a WAV file or too many audio channels

Attachment Daltonizm_XML.fcpxml not found

Attachments:
    Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by crushback.

More
    10 years 1 month ago #1016 by Forum
    Forum replied the topic: Not a WAV file or too many audio channels
    Can you upload the fcpxml and the console log from an attempt to convert it and we'll take a look to see what is going on. It may also be that we need the wav file to look at but we'll let you know if that is the case.

X2Pro Support

• crushback
    • Fresh Boarder
    • Fresh Boarder
    More
    10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1015 by crushback
    crushback created the topic: Not a WAV file or too many audio channels
    Hello! I'm trying to make AAF from a project in FCPX and X2PRO Audio Convert cannot make an AAF because "Not a WAV file or too many audio channels", but file which mentioned in a report crash is actually in a WAV format, mono. I've tried to make it stereo but the result is the same.
    The problem appears only when i check the "Reference WAV files in place" checkbox.
    What should i do?
    Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by crushback. Reason: added when the problem appears

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds