Exporting and Importing X2Pro file to Nuendo 6

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1360 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Exporting and Importing X2Pro file to Nuendo 6
Ramiah,

As I said before, I'm not familiar with Nuendo or DaVinci Resolve, so I don't have the knowledge to comment on what would be the best workflow for you.

X2Pro is a tool for exporting audio from a FCP X project to an AAF, it doesn't help you get audio from a DAW into FCP X. To do that you would have to use the built in export/import tools of Nuendo and FCP X.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Graeme

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ramiah
  • Ramiah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1358 by Ramiah
Ramiah replied the topic: Exporting and Importing X2Pro file to Nuendo 6
Mr. Graeame Robinson,
Thank you for your reply.
I have succeeded in exporting the FCPX Project as FCPXML and then succeeded in generating AAF File using X2Pro. I was able to open them in Nuendo 6. I am describing the scenario below.
I am running Mac OSX 10.9.5 on the MacPro 2013. FCPX (I’m using 10.1.3) is my preferred NLE. But it does not have all the audio plug-ins and effects I need. I do not have ProTools or any other DAW. I use Nuendo (version 6.0) a professional DAW that has some of the plug-ins and effects I need. I saw videos on the Internet that showed how to connect the FCPX NLE and the Nuendo DAW using X2Pro. I did not know at that time that Nuendo is not ‘officially-supported’ by Marquis Broadcast, makers of X2Pro. Further, I did not check to see whether the audio after finishing in Nuendo (adding EQ, compression, time and pitch correction using the plug-ins and effects in Nuendo) could be exported back directly to FCPX or through some other means.

I recorded some computer voices in software called Voice It records at 22050 Hz (half of 44.1kHz). In Compressor 4.1.3, I convert these voices audio files to 48 kHz/16 Bit. I open my project in FCPX 10.1.3 running on OSX 10.9.5 and import video and audio files, including the above converted audio files, select them in the browser in FCPX and drop them into the time line. After editing, I export this project as FCPXML. I open X2Pro and choose the above FCPXML file and the folder to save AAF file that X2Pro generates.

I purchased X2Pro because I needed to bring the relevant audio tracks from FCPX into Nuendo to do time stretch and pitch correct on these computer voices audio files, available under the Process menu in Nuendo. Now I am stuck because the export formats of Nuendo cannot be opened in FCPX. Thus, I cannot use this finished audio as part of my project for delivery.

My questions are: How do I export the finished audio from Nuendo 6 into FCPX: What format should I choose for this export? If I were to color grade the final edit of FCPX in Da Vinci Lite, should it be done before exporting as FCPXML to X2Pro? Ultimately, can I export the finished audio in Nuendo in some format acceptable to FCPX 10.1.3 or Compressor 4.1.3?

Thank you

Ramiah

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1357 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Exporting and Importing X2Pro file to Nuendo 6
Using Nuendo to open AAFs created by X2Pro is not an officially supported workflow, but we have had reports of it working for some people.

Why weren't you able to convert it using X2Pro? Is there an error message that you can copy/paste? (If possible please copy/paste the text, rather than taking a screen grab)

When exporting the video for reference, it's your choice really, but H.264 should be fine for reference as long as Nuendo is able to import that. That's what we would recommend if you were using Pro Tools.

To answer your numbered questions:
  1. That shouldn't be necessary, as long as Nuendo doesn't mind what format the audio comes in. X2Pro will not convert bit depth or sample rate.
  2. I'm not familiar with Nuendo, so I can't advise on that I'm afraid.
  3. Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.

• Ramiah
  • Ramiah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1354 by Ramiah
Ramiah created the topic: Exporting and Importing X2Pro file to Nuendo 6
I am having difficulty using FCPXML to X2Pro to Nuendo 6.
FCPX Project is simple with one video clip in a Project the properties of which are 1920 x1080 at 24p, stereo at 48kHz and one audio clip that is Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 1 channels, 22050 Hz. This project plays fine in the FCPX Time line. I exported it as FCPXML. I was not able to open and convert it into AAF in X2Pro. What are the options to use? I understand that I have to export the video separately as a QT file. What format should be used for this conversion?

Here are the questions?
1. Should the audio file be converted to the project audio rate which 48 KHz/16 Bit before exporting it as FCPXML?
2. Once I manipulate the AAF file in Nuendo 6, how do I bring it back into FCPX? If I should export it from Nuendo 6. what format should I choose?
3. Is there a manual or video which shows how to export a file from FCPX to X2Pro to Nuendo and back?

Thank you for your help!

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds