Creating AAFs from Sony F55 Footage

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1407 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Creating AAFs from Sony F55 Footage
I opened your AAF in Pro Tools and and can see that it only has one audio track for that clip listed in the Clips list.

I then created a new project and imported your clip, but didn't "Remove silent channels" on import, ran that through X2Pro, and opened that in Pro Tools and it shows all 8 channels in the Clips list.

See attached screen grabs to see the difference.

Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MGfilm
  • MGfilm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1383 by MGfilm
MGfilm replied the topic: Creating AAFs from Sony F55 Footage
Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the reply. I think the only thing that you are doing differently is that I'm using QT .movs that are in AVC-Intra codec.

I am definitely choosing 'Trim Embedded Audio'

I've uploaded to your FTP:
• One of my QT clips for you to use in a test called 5591.mov
• An .aaf using that clip.
• An .fcpxml using that clip.
• Screenshots of my X2Pro settings.

To be clear - at the Protools/Nuendo end (my soundie uses both) there are the correct number of audio tracks in the timeline but all 8 tracks for each clip appear in the clips bin.

Hope you can help.

Cheers,

Matt

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1374 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Creating AAFs from Sony F55 Footage
I'm unable to reproduce your issue on my system:
I just created a mov with 4 audio tracks, of which 2 were silent, then I imported the mov into FCP X and chose to "Remove silent channels" which gave me a clip with just 2 audio tracks in FCP X. I dropped the clip on a new project, exported the fcpxml, ran it through X2Pro and opened the AAF in Pro Tools. Pro Tools showed me a clip with two audio tracks in the timeline and in the clips list.

Are you sure that X2Pro is including the the disabled tracks? What am I doing differently to you?

Is it possible that the size of the AAF file is not because there are extra tracks, but instead because you are not choosing to "Trim embedded audio" and so X2Pro is embedding the full duration of every audio track used in your project?

• MGfilm
  • MGfilm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1371 by MGfilm
MGfilm created the topic: Creating AAFs from Sony F55 Footage
Ok, here's the issue.

My FCPX Project is made up of footage from a Sony F55. On import, FCPX rewraps F55 MXF files as QT .mov. The resulting QT files have 8 audio channels (see attached screenshot).

After import I use 'remove silent channels' to remove all the unused audio channels - the crew NEVER records more than 2 audio channels.

Then I whistle along and complete my edit. In my FCPX Project timeline I see only the audio channels I need to hear (0, 1 or 2). There are no disabled audio tracks or audio tracks switched off within the FCP Inspector.

After completing my edit I export an XML and use X2Pro Professional to create an .aaf for my soundie.

The resulting .aaf file seems to contain ALL 8 of the audio channels for each clip rather than the 0, 1, or 2 channels that it should. This means that the .aaf file is abnormally large. I've got a 22min project that is creating a 2GB .aaf file!

If this was a one-off thing I'd probably be ok with it, but I've got ninety 22min episodes to cut and send to my sound guy.

I've attached an fcpxml for you and I have uploaded a .mov and .aaf file of the same edit to your FTP site.

I hope we can find a solution to this issue, as my sound guy is starting to pull his hair out about these huge .aaf files.

Cheers,

Matthew

FYI - Using FCPX 10.1.2 (and now 10.1.3) & X2Pro v2.3 on a Mid-2012 Mac Pro running Mavericks 10.9.5
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds