Error Messages

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1400 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Error Messages
I'm not sure about "too many audio files". Do you mean too many audio tracks? If so, this is probably because you have told X2Pro to reference audio, but are using some audio in your project that isn't from single channel WAV files.

Pro Tools is only able to use referenced audio from single channel WAV files, so X2Pro will not convert your project with this setting on unless all the audio in your project is from single channel WAV files. There are a few options that might help here:
  1. If you are not using Pro Tools, and you know that your DAW can handle multi channel referenced WAV files, you can change a setting in the X2Pro preferences to reference multi-channel WAV files.
  2. If you don't want to reference the multi channel WAV files or you are using audio from other sources (e.g. MOV files) you can choose to reference the audio in the single-channel WAV files, but embed all other audio in the AAF.
A much simpler option though would be to not reference the audio and embed everything, that way you will have no problems relinking and if you are sending the file elsewhere, it's just one single file to transport.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1399 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Error Messages
Jason,

I just replied to your direct email, but I'll paste my response here for completeness:

The short answer is that you can add one media location that will cover everything and you won’t have to worry about media locations or sandboxing again. This one media location is you main hard drive (usually called “Macintosh HD”) and it will be listed in the media locations as “/”. Since every file on your system (including external drives and mounted network drives) is located in a subdirectory of “/”, all files on the system will be available to X2Pro. Doing this will effectively de-sandbox the app.

I’ll try to explain how the sandboxing works and why we need you to specify media locations:

Apple requires all apps that are sold through the app store to be sandboxed (with a very small number of exceptions). Sandboxing is a security feature that limits the harm that a buggy, malicious or compromised application can do to your system by limiting the read/write access it has to the file system. By default the app only has access to files within its own application container, but the user is able to grant access to files or folders outside this location by browsing to them (this is how X2Pro is able to read FCPXMLs, read the audio from clips, and write the AAF file).

Sometimes (though not always) FCP X will put special information in the FCPXML that enables X2Pro to access the files that are referenced by the FCPXML without the user having to browse to those folders. Also, in situations where there are more than one file per clip, it only ever includes the information for the first file in the clip. If there is not the required information then X2Pro must prompt the user to grant access to the necessary files. This is the prompt to add media locations.

Because X2Pro needs access to all the media files that are used in your FCPXML, and you don’t want to browse to every single media file, X2Pro gives you the opportunity to browse to a folder that contains your media files. When you have chosen that folder, X2Pro can access all files within that folder (including files in folders beneath the chosen folder) and can extract all the audio it needs to from those files. If you have media files in multiple locations, you can add a folder a few levels up that might cover many or all locations in one hit, but when you do this you are granting read/write access to every file in the folder you select. You can even go one stage further and add the main system hard disk (usually called “Macintosh HD”) and because every other drive (external and networked) is mounted under /Volumes/ on the system disk, they will all be accessible too.

Let me know if this helps.

• jgs2323
  • jgs2323's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1395 by jgs2323
jgs2323 created the topic: Error Messages
I have no idea how to get around these sandbox issues so that X2 Pro has full access to anything I ever hook up to my computer ever. Can that be done? I'm also getting an error message about too many audio files. Is four audio files too many? Can't be. Trying attach screenshots but the "add file" function of this forum ain't working in Firefox.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds