"Not a WAV / too many channels" for stereo tracks

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1481 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: "Not a WAV / too many channels" for stereo tracks
X2Pro is only warning you about one clip at a time because it gives up as soon as it reaches the first problematic clip. The order it goes through the clips is not the order that they are used in the project, it's the order that they are referenced in the fcpxml. Because FCP X uses a magnetic timeline rather than a track based timeline, the order of the clips in the fcpxml are often not in the order that they are used.

I'm not sure how you had it working before, but if you ever had audio from MOVs (that wasn't disabled) in your project, X2Pro would never have been able to reference that audio.

X2Pro doesn't just display that error message for audio that is in a MOV file (as you have discovered). It will show it for any audio that is not from a single channel WAV file. Pro Tools is not able to use referenced audio from multi-channel WAV files and X2Pro knows this, so it will not reference it. If you know that your DAW can handle referenced audio from multi-channel WAV files, there is a setting in the preferences window that will make X2Pro reference audio from multi0-channel WAV files.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• timm27
  • timm27's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1479 by timm27
timm27 replied the topic: "Not a WAV / too many channels" for stereo tracks
Thanks for the reply, Graeme.

I understand what you're saying but can't figure out how precisely it's applying. There are indeed 100s of MOV files, and in the linked timeline I detached the audio from the MOVs (so there are audio clips with the same title as the MOVs). These MOVs were generated from a BlackMagic camera; I've used MOV files from Cannon before, detached them from the clips, and I'm certain I could export a referenced AAF with no errors.

In spite of having 100s of MOVs in this specific timeline, X2Pro glossed over all of the MOVs-with-audio up until the clip you mentioned. When I went into the timeline and deleted the audio clip of the same MOV title, X2Pro proceeded to give the same error for the immediately proceeding clip, and I continued with this for about 10 clips before giving up. It seemed to me X2Pro was reading the timeline's clips sequentially, and at 4:49 is when it was first encountering issues.

X2Pro also gave errors for non-MOV audio clips. MONO-15 was one of them and MONO-34 was another. Any insight on these since they're unrelated to the MOVs? They are .wav in Finder.

I opened several clips in the MediaInfo app to read their details, including the mentioned _2349_C0010.mov (with audio) and MONO-15. The audio in both reads as 2-channel PCM 48Khz media. It's the same for clips that X2Pro did not send up an error.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1463 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: "Not a WAV / too many channels" for stereo tracks
Bischers filmy-thingy_1_2014-05-19_2349_C0010 is a mov file, not a wav. The mov file has two audio channels and these two audio channels are used in your sequence at 4:49:22.

X2Pro WILL NOT reference audio from mov files. Your only options are to embed the audio from the mov, or disabled/remove it from your project before converting it using X2Pro.

If you really need needs to reference that audio, you could convert it to a wav and then use that in your project, but it looks like you are using over 100 movs in your project, so I doubt that's an option.

• timm27
  • timm27's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1454 by timm27
timm27 created the topic: "Not a WAV / too many channels" for stereo tracks
Attached is an XML I'm getting errors on. Same error, multiple tracks, both cam-recorded and from the mixer. I can upload a couple examples later, however the tracks getting errors are stereo WAV tracks. Having X2Pro reference multi-channel tracks does not work either, and even though an AAF can be made with these error tracks embedded, it's looking like my sound designer cannot use embedded AAF.

The error:

Writing AAF file
Getting audio characteristics for asset [Bischers filmy-thingy_1_2014-05-19_2349_C0010]
Error trying to create reference for asset (not a WAV file or too many audio channels)
No AAF file has been generated.

Another track example [MONO-015]
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds