Wrong number of data buffers ERROR

• isaacwayton
  • isaacwayton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 4 months ago #1661 by isaacwayton
isaacwayton replied the topic: Wrong number of data buffers ERROR
Yes, this file is was generated using the ffmpeg workflow, and is another example of the type of file that generates the data buffers error.

I have also looked at these types of files in FCPx, QT X, and QT 7, and documented the same results. I will forward your findings along to our in-house engineers as well, to highlight that the problem I am seeing is not an isolated one. Thank you (and your developers) for the taking the time to look at these files, and for trying to answer my question. I really appreciate the effort and timely responses that went into this process. Keep up the great work!

Film + Video Editor | TED Conferences, LLC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1660 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Wrong number of data buffers ERROR
The developers said this:

Looking at the workflow below, I am assuming that the media file that we have a sample of is one that was generated by ffmpeg.

We are able to attempt to play this file using three different "players", FCP X, QT X and QT 7. Here are the results:

FCP X : Plays fine and reports both channels;
QT X : Audio does not play (we seem to get a very brief burst of audio when we hit play, then silence). This player reports two mono audio channels.
QT 7: Audio plays fine, though the player reports only a single mono audio channel. Therefore the playback is probably from a single channel.

The QT 7 player most closely resembles what we use internally in X2Pro to read the audio, so at best we might be able to read a single channel of audio. The problem is that the FCP XML describes two channels of audio, so we would not be able to satisfy the sequence as described in the FCP XML.

It appears that this .MOV file is out of whack somehow. A brief look at it does not highlight anything obvious, but the different player behaviour certainly highlights some issues with the file.

Hopefully this will give your in-house engineers some clues as to what is wrong with the file...

• isaacwayton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1637 by isaacwayton
No worries. Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1630 by Graeme Robinson
Isaac,

Sorry for the delay. I can reproduce your issue with the clip that you have provided, and have passed on all the details to the developers for comment. This has been given ticket number 4954 in our issue tracking system.

I will let you know what their response is.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1576 by Graeme Robinson
Hi Isaac,

I have sent you an email with FTP details.

A smaller file would be quicker to upload and would be easier to work with, but creating a new file may make the issue go away because I suspect the problem is caused by some information in the mov wrapper, not in the audio/video within the file.

If you do decide to try a smaller clip, before you upload it please check that it causes the same error message in X2Pro by creating a new project with this clip in and then trying to convert that project using X2Pro.

• isaacwayton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1568 by isaacwayton
Sure, we can swap emails and I can provide you with a clip. Would it be okay if it was just a smaller portion of this clip? Or would that process inherently change the properties you are trying to look at? I will see if I can dig up some other files that gave me a similar issue when trying to generate an AAF.

As for how this file was created, I'll have to get back to you on that one, once my AE gets back from lunch.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1567 by Graeme Robinson
That sounds like it's a wrongly described mov file. Would you be able to let us take a look at it? I can provide FTP details via email if you would like?

Do you have any clips that are shorter but have the same issue in X2Pro?

How was this file created?

• isaacwayton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1566 by isaacwayton
2014P-Laxminarayan_Ramanan-4206-S04-C01.mov is one of the clips in my multicam. It has my primary audio. The video codec for the clip is Apple ProRes 422. Audio info below:
Codecs: Linear PCM
Audio Output Channels: 1
Sample Rate: 48kHz
Audio Configuration: 2 mono

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #1565 by Graeme Robinson
Hi Isaac,

X2Pro is complaining about the audio from "2014P-Laxminarayan_Ramanan-4206-S04-C01.mov" which is in the folder "/PROJECTS X/2014P Ramanan Laxminarayan-01.fcpbundle/Clips/Original Media/" on a drive called "DEATHSTAR_III".

I suspect that this clip might contain AC3 audio. Can you please check this by selecting that clip FCP X, opening the Inspector panel, switching to the Info tab and then tell us what codecs that this clip uses.

• isaacwayton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #1564 by isaacwayton
isaacwayton created the topic: Wrong number of data buffers ERROR
I get this error message from time to time...what does it mean and how can I fix the problem? Attached below is an XML of my project. I created the XML from version 10.1.3 of FCPx using the Audio metadata view. I am running the latest version X2Pro on Mavericks (10.9.5):

Writing AAF file
Adding assets to AAF file
Adding essence for asset [2014P-Laxminarayan_Ramanan-4206-S04-C01] to AAF file
Adding essence data to AAF file for portion 0 of asset [2014P-Laxminarayan_Ramanan-4206-S04-C01]
Adding audio data to AAF file
Adding Sample Data
Creating Essence Data Objects
Wrong number of data buffers (1) passed to Add Sample Data (expected 2)
Error code: 0x1

No AAF file has been generated.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds