Huge .aaf files... Why?

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1938 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Huge .aaf files... Why?
Yes, in a sped up shot, there out handle will be large enough cover the amount of the clip used in FCP plus the configured handle duration in X2Pro's preferences.

In the case of a slowed down shot, the duration of the clip in Pro Tools will be shorter, and a "hole" will take the space that was occupied in FCP X so that no other clips go out of sync.

Unfortunately there is no indicators in Pro Tools that the clip was retimed in FCP. You could give them a copy of the conversion report (it can be copy/pasted) which contains a list of clips that were retimed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Adam Cohen
  • Adam Cohen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #1937 by Adam Cohen
Adam Cohen replied the topic: Huge .aaf files... Why?
Hi Graeme,

Thank you very much for this very helpful response. I have actually upgraded now to the full version (I resisted because of the high cost) and I can see the features you refer to. When you say that it puts source audio into a clip that has had an effect applied, does that mean, in terms of a speeded up shot, that there's enough sound available to cover the whole original shot (before it was speeded up) or just to cover the length visible in the timeline? Also, does it flag to the Protools dubbing editor that an effect had been applied and then removed during export from that clip?

The big snag for me is that I feel I am somewhat feeling my way in the dark. I can't see the results of the exports I try, as I don't have Protools, though I am sending tests to my dubbing editor to get his reaction. Interesting for me that the software seems to think I have retimed a lot more shots than I actually have in the film. Any idea why that would be?

Again, thanks for the helpful response.

Best,

Adam.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1936 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Huge .aaf files... Why?
Your AAF is large because X2Pro is including all the audio from your source clips.

The full version of X2Pro gives you the option to "Trim embedded audio" with configurable handles (default is 2 seconds). This often results in a significantly smaller AAF and it sounds like it's exactly what you want.

You can upgrade to the full version of X2Pro by clicking the "Purchase Pro version" button on the "General" tab of the X2Pro preferences window.

The speed changes and filter warnings will be the same in the full version of X2Pro. X2Pro does not translate retiming/conforming (the clips will be in the right place, but will have to be retimed in Pro Tools) and it doesn't translate effects (it puts the audio from the source clip in the AAF).

• Adam Cohen
  • Adam Cohen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #1935 by Adam Cohen
Adam Cohen created the topic: Huge .aaf files... Why?
I have just today purchased X2ProLE. I have an FCPX project nearing completion – 10 minutes long – from which I would normally (from FCP7) just create an OMF folder to sent to my dubbing mixer with a QuickTime of the film as a reference. That always works a treat but this time I’m struggling!

I exported an xml from FCPX and then used X2ProLE to create the .aaf file. (I now see you can share directly from FCPX into X2Pro, but that's not my issue...) Problem is, whereas the OMF files are normally a couple of hundred MB tops (with 1 or 2 sec handles), this is 2.75 GB! Also, it gave me a long list of things it was ignoring such as speed changes and filters. How do I get around these issues? 2.75GB is a very big file to out electronically (my Hightail limit is 2GB) so what am I doing wrong?

Having finally started to feel more at ease with FCPX (after a long struggle - and I still have lots of grumbles about the replacement to my beloved FCP7), it would be very frustrating not to be able to get my dubbing done efficiently, so I’m rather depending on X2ProLE! I may try going the Xto7 route – I have the package – but I was hoping the X2Pro route would be the best (indicated by the much higher price of X2Pro – even the LE version compared with the other packages).

Any help much appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds