Gap between clip and Clip Gain

More
9 years 1 month ago #2024 by grodan
grodan replied the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
Thanks Graeme, I guess this is it !!!

Do you think Final Cut Pro X is responsible for this situation?
Should they provide us with a "PRO" software and develop accordingly??
Should I directly address APPLE concerning these problems?

I think so anyway....

Thanks.

Daniel A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #2023 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
Hi Daniel,

People have questioned the 1ms gaps in the past, but when it has been explained why they are present, they seemed to be happy with that explanation. I understand the problem it causes for you, but I can't see an obvious workaround.

It may be possible to make X2Pro detect and 1ms gaps and change the duration of the preceding/following clip to fill the gap, but this wouldn't be a trivial change so I'm afraid I wouldn't expect this to happen any time soon...

Sorry I can't be more help

More
9 years 1 month ago #2003 by grodan
grodan replied the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
Hi Graeme,
I am the sound guy for this project and will try to expose the situation as clearly as possible.
First, to answer your question, the gap is actually inaudible as it is approx 1 bit frame (1/100 of 1/30 second) so I guess it makes it smaller than 1 millisecond...
These gaps are effectively sparse and with no real logical organization.
My problem is that when I receive AAF files from the edit room and after converting them into ProTools HD (11.3.1), I select all clips rendered and apply (in bulk) 40ms fades and crossfades to all of them; this is a quite standard procedure as it makes all cuts softer and prevents occasional digital clicks. If FCPX is not frame accurate, I will not be able to proceed accordingly, since I will create - in a gap situation - a 80ms blank which is quite noticeable. I never encountereds this problem with FCP7 or AVID stuff, so if I am to keep getting AAF files from clients, what do you suggest I do? have you had any similar situation in the past?

thanks,

Daniel A

• AceLain
  • AceLain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #2002 by AceLain
AceLain replied the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
I will check with the sound editor for the gaps.

Thank you very much for the quick reply

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #1999 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
Hi Jean-Simon,

AceLain wrote: When the AAF is imported in ProTools, the Sound editor see some random small gap between audio clip when their is a cut ... Is their is a way to prevent that to happen ?

Clip positions in an fcpxml are expressed as vulgar fractions (e.g. 1/3 seconds), but in the AAF they much be expressed as decimal fractions(e.g. 1.333 seconds). That there must be some rounding done in the conversion. X2Pro is accurate to 1ms in its rounding calculations, so it possible that there could be an inaudible 1ms gap between some clips in the AAF. Are your gaps longer than one ms?

AceLain wrote: Is it possible to have the clip always in volume instead of Clip gain ?

No, unfortunately not.

• AceLain
  • AceLain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1998 by AceLain
AceLain created the topic: Gap between clip and Clip Gain
Hi everyone !

We just finish edit a 22 minutes show that we sent to our sound editor using X2Pro.

However, he noted some things that we are not sure what is causing it, so any help would be appreciate.

-When the AAF is imported in ProTools, the Sound editor see some random small gap between audio clip when their is a cut (we are talking less then a frame here). After looking in the FCX sequence, we did not see any "gap" between our audio clip.
Is their is a way to prevent that to happen ?

-Finally, we have realized that if you change the volume without adding a keyframe (just changing the volume by dragging the volume line on the clip) in FCX, in ProTools this clip appear with a "Clip Gain" change. However, when adding one or more keyframe to adjust the volume of a clip, in ProTools the clip appear as a with a volume change.
Is it possible to have the clip always in volume instead of Clip gain ?

Thanks in advance !

Jean-Simon
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by AceLain.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds