Retiming, different sample rates,

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #2034 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Retiming, different sample rates,
Dear Les,

As you purchased through the app store then you will have to go back to Apple for a refund, that is how refunds work on the app store, , our understanding is that if you advise them that you require a refund they will do this for you, to our knowledge no one who has asked for a refund has been refused by Apple.

Yours Sincerely

James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lemenos
  • lemenos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #2033 by lemenos
lemenos replied the topic: Retiming, different sample rates,
Thanks, but to be honest, unless you gave the app to Apple for free, and you receive nothing from the sale of it, it is disingenuous at best to say that you have nothing to do with the refund process. Since i don't think your team is doing this as a charity, i would hope that X2PRO would help in securing my refund.

Les

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 weeks ago #2032 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Retiming, different sample rates,
Hi Les,

You don't need to remove retimed clips from your project before you convert it, you just need to to tell your audio guy which clips you had retimed in your project. Every other clip that was not retimed will be in sync anyway. After opening the AAF, your audio guy just needs to retime the same clips that you did and he will have a correct copy.

You will have have to contact Apple directly for a refund because that is who sold you the app. We cannot refund you as we didn't take your money and, as far as I know, we have no influence on Apple's decision to issue a refund.

If the lack of support for retimed clips really is an issue for you and for some reason you struggle to get a refund from Apple, please post back here and I'll see if there is anything we can do to help.

• lemenos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #2031 by lemenos
thanks for the explanation. The bottom line is that going thru and deleting all the retimed clips in my projects is an onerous requirement of using the app.

Given that, i would ask that you support my request for a refund from the App Store--because while they sold me the app, it was developed by your team, and the developers should communicate with apple that the app is not working for my project.

FYI, i will be asking for two refunds, since it was unclear that A) the LE version would make huge AAF files and B) that upgrading from LE to the full version had to take place in the app, vice the app store.

i appreciate your support on this, but your app just is not working for my project, and i would hope that you will communicate to apple and back up my request for TWO refunds.

thanks,
Les

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 weeks ago #2026 by Graeme Robinson
X2Pro includes every retimed or conformed clip in it's conversion report, regardless of whether that clip includes audio or not.

Any retimed clips will be included at their original speed, regardless of whether they are audio only clips, or whether they are clips with both audio and video.

The audio that X2Pro includes in the AAF will be at the original speed, but the duration of the clip on the timeline will be correct so that other clips do not go out of sync.

• lemenos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2025 by lemenos
Does this apply only to retimed audio? or ANY retimed clip?

If both, essentially you are forcing the editor to change the whole film around to suit the vagaries of your app! This is a bad deal if the only way around this is not using retimed clips, or forcing the sound person to recreate them.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #2019 by Graeme Robinson

lemenos wrote: thanks, but i am not seeing those attachments... appreciate your help!

Yes, they don't seem to have worked as attachments. I have zipped them and tried again...
Attachments:

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #2018 by Graeme Robinson
Unfortunately there is no way around this, X2Pro always include the audio at the original speed. This will cause sync issues with all retimed clips, but will not cause sync issue with other clips, even if they come after the retimed clip.

X2Pro's conversion report can be copy/pasted so that you can give it to your sound guy to adjust the speed of the clips.

• lemenos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2016 by lemenos
Hi Graeme,

I think i see what might be causing my problems. X2pro does not support retiming, so all my retimed clips are causing a problem in the resulting AAF file. Sound right?

Is there a way around this? I ask because A) retimed files are pretty common, and B) i don't want to change my video just to get an export file for sound!.

thanks,
Les
Attachments:

• lemenos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2013 by lemenos
thanks, but i am not seeing those attachments... appreciate your help!

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #2012 by Graeme Robinson
That last csv was for the fcpxml called "agh31715xmltest". I've just noticed that you included another one in your last post, and I've created and attached a similar (but much smaller) csv for that fcpxml

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #2011 by Graeme Robinson

lemenos wrote: HOW CAN I EASILY IDENTIFY RETIMED CLIPS AND CHANGE THEM?

When you perform the conversion in X2Pro it will tell you about any retimed clips that it encountered and the time that they appear in the project. You can look in FCP for the clips at the times that X2Pro reports, and you can show the retiming bar for clips in the timeline by selecting them and pressing CMD+R (this works when you have multiple clips selected).

lemenos wrote: THANKS, TWO THINGS. FIRST, MY SOUND GUY SEEMS TO THINK DIFFERENTLY, THAT THE DIFFERENT SAMPLE RATES ARE CAUSING SYNC ISSUES. COMMENTS?

It really shouldn't cause sync issues as long as you don't tell Pro Tools to apply SRC when it is importing. We have converted many projects here with mixed sample rates and do not see sync issues when opening them in Pro Tools. We also have a large installed user base, and if mixed sample rates always caused sync issues, we would have heard about it from lots more people already.

lemenos wrote: IF I WANT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING TO 48K, WHICH I THOUGHT I ALREADY DID, WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO IDENTIFY CLIPS AND THEIR SAMPLE RATES AS YOU HAVE DONE?

I don't know of an easy way of checking this. I looked inside your FCPXML (it's just a text file) for "audioRate" and found a mix of values on various clips. There are many more wav files at 96kHz than there are clips at 44.1kHz or 48kHz. I have attached a CSV containing a list of every clip in your project that contains audio, including the name, file path, and sample rate. You should be able to open it in a spreadsheet program (e.g. numbers/excel). Perhaps this will help.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Graeme Robinson.

• lemenos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2010 by lemenos
lemenos created the topic: Retiming, different sample rates,
This is a consolidation of three different forum posts, please bear with me as i try to keep all this straight!

YOU SAID

"There are a few instances of retimed clips in your project. X2Pro doesn't support retiming, so any retimed clips will go out of sync in the AAF, but all other clips should be correctly synced."

HOW CAN I EASILY IDENTIFY RETIMED CLIPS AND CHANGE THEM? SEEMS LIKE THIS COULD BE CAUSING THE PROBLEM

You do have three different audio sample rates in your project, examples are:

* 48kHz: /Volumes/AGH BACKUP/Final Cut Events/sc 1/Original Media/2014-06-30 06_18_16 (id).mov

* 96kHz: /Volumes/AGH BACKUP/Final Cut Events/sc 3/Original Media/SCENE1_934_st.wav

* 44.1kHz: /Volumes/AGH BACKUP/Final Cut Events/attic/Original Media/ZOOM0001.wav

It shouldn't be a problem having mixed sample rates; Pro Tools copes fine with mixed audio sample rates in a single project.

THANKS, TWO THINGS. FIRST, MY SOUND GUY SEEMS TO THINK DIFFERENTLY, THAT THE DIFFERENT SAMPLE RATES ARE CAUSING SYNC ISSUES. COMMENTS?

ALSO, IF I WANT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING TO 48K, WHICH I THOUGHT I ALREADY DID, WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO IDENTIFY CLIPS AND THEIR SAMPLE RATES AS YOU HAVE DONE?

Thanks for your help!

Les
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds