Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]

More
8 years 3 months ago #3268 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
Dear Marten, B2B, ChrisBee, the following relates to your issue, it might also relate to yourself blacklisted, but without the XML we cannot be sure.

After looking into this with Development and Product Management, we have the following statement.

There are limitations in what is possible to support in a conversion between an FCPX XML and a ProTools AAF. The most significant of these is retiming. AAF does not support the interchange of audio retiming, so instead of not supporting this, where possible we allow the transfer of the media, however it will play out without any timing effect applied to it in the AAF.
i.e. If you have a 10 second clip in the XML that has a 2x speed effect applied the clip will only play out for 5 seconds in the XML. On a transfer to AAF the start point for the clip will be the same in the XML and the clip will play for the correct duration of 5 seconds, but it will play at normal speed.

In the AAF we will have created the whole 10 second clip and will have produced a Warning in X2Pro advising that a retimed event has occurred a point X. The intention is that you can apply the retiming to the event in ProTools.
When retiming is applied to a compound clip in the XML currently we will error and consequently fail to create an AAF.
We have looked into various ways of coping with retiming in a compound clip and have been unfortunately unable to provide a solution that could work in all scenarios. As such the only way you can work with retiming in a compound clip is to mix-down any retimed compound clips before processing through X2Pro.

The current software when it errors will warn the operator of where it has failed in processing the XML and stop. This is not terribly helpful because generally you either have no retimed compound clips in a sequence or several. It can therefore be a painstaking process resubmitting the XML each time you have mixed down a retimed compound clip or finding them yourself in the XML.

We are therefore planning to ease this process by changing the way the X2Pro software works when processing an XML it is intended it will parse through the entire project and then produce a report not just listing the Warnings that it currently does and the first point where it would have failed but all points in the XML where it would have failed previously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #3263 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
@blacklisted:

There is a limit to the size of the file that you can attach to the forum, perhaps that's why you weren't able to attach it.

Retimed clips don't normally cause a problem for X2Pro; the retiming is normally ignored (clips are put in the AAF at their original speed), but it doesn't normally cause any errors or failure to convert a project. The only known issue with retimed clips is if they are compound (or synchronised) clips.

I can't give you any indication of when it is likely to be fixed until we know exactly what the cause of the problem is, and in order to figure that out, we will need your FCPXML. I was asking for your fcpxml so that I could try to recreate the issue here on our systems and try to find out exactly what was going wrong. Are you able to send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for us to look at?

More
8 years 3 months ago #3258 by blacklisted
blacklisted replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
a couple issues.

If the xml wasn't attached, then your add file doesn't work.
Why is this so insanely difficult? What recent update broke your software where I have to pay $150 for the software to then just have to post my xml to the support forum for one of you guys to fix. Basically, any clip that I've time remapped breaks the software and you haven't been able to fix it in 2 months?

I fixed my issue. I had to export any clip where I had remapped the time and reimported and replaced the problematic clip. For an 100 minute documentary it was a little bit of a pain, but that seemed to get it to work.

When can we expect to see this issue resolved?

• MaartenEC
  • MaartenEC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #3256 by MaartenEC
MaartenEC replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
It isn't a compound clip. Just a regular one.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #3255 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
@blacklisted, you haven't attached a file

@MaartenEC, is your reversed clip a compound clip? There are know issues with X2Pro's handling of retimed compound clips.

• MaartenEC
  • MaartenEC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #3252 by MaartenEC
MaartenEC replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
I've got a new project. It contains a clip which is reversed 100%. I get the same kind of error on this clip. If I remove it from the project, it exports fine.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by MaartenEC.

More
8 years 3 months ago #3251 by blacklisted
I've attached the file.

I attempted to located the file that it was having issues with and completely remove it from my timeline by exporting the clip and then reimporting as a new clip. Still didn't work.

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #3250 by Jeremy Norwood
Jeremy Norwood replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
Your FCPXML and the error message from X2Pro would be required for us to be able to look into things for you, yes.
Please let me know fi you can provide those to us.

More
8 years 3 months ago #3249 by blacklisted
Is there a solution to this issue? Experiencing the same issue as described below.

Running X2Pro v3.0.5.

Is the only solution to send my XML to you to convert?

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #3218 by Jeremy Norwood
Jeremy Norwood replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
Christian,

I have not seen a response from you on this matter and we are not able to progress the issue without your assistance and files.
Please let me know if this is a support issue or if you no longer have problems with the slo-mo clips in your timelines.

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #3217 by Jeremy Norwood
I have not seen a response from you as of yet.

Would you detail where or how these slow motion clips are created?
Are you just taking normal video clips and retiming them to be slower in your FCP X timeline?

Also, would you please let us know how the version Tim provided is working for you?
Many thanks.

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #3179 by Jeremy Norwood
I just wanted to follow up with you as i had not seen a response or any details form you.
Would you be able to provide details on your Slomo clips and how you work?

Many thanks.

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #3093 by Jeremy Norwood
I believe Tim has gotten you a version to get you through your deadline.

To help us investigate your problem with our currently released version, would you do us two favors, please?

Would you detail where or how these slow motion clips are created?
Are you just taking normal video clips and retiming them to be slower in your FCP X timeline?

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #3088 by B2B_JC
B2B_JC replied the topic: Slomo problems [edit units assets appear longer]
I appear to be having a similar issue as stated below - although I cannot say that I know for sure what is causing it (i.e. that it is due to a motion effect)

Error text:
Writing AAF file
Adding tracks to AAF file
Writing AAF track structure
Processing clip
Adding clip from source channel 1 to track 2
The clip starting at 1385.8 seconds in the project has an end point within its referenced asset [A002C036_1511123B.1] of 7440 edit units but the asset only has a length of 5360 edit units
No AAF file has been generated.
X2Pro Audio Convert 3.0.5

I attempted to attached the XML file that has raised the error but it exceeds the file size limit. I have zipped the file and attatched. Please let me know if there are any issues viewing this.

I am supporting an edit that cannot be interupted too much so please let me know as much information as you can regarding what is know about this issue (likely causes/fixes etc.)and also what further information I can provide to help diagnose and resolve this problem.

Prompt responses are appreciated as there is a tight turnaround for this.

Thanks in advanced!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by B2B_JC.

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #3021 by Jeremy Norwood
Thank for the update, Maarten.

Christian, could you provide me with your FCP XML(s) and answer the questions I asked below?
Many thanks.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds