How to reference audio guy's new hard drive folders

• Granadillo
  • Granadillo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 6 months ago #6736 by Granadillo
Granadillo replied the topic: How to reference audio guy's new hard drive folders
Hello and thanks.
I thought that having all the files within the AAF would be too heavy, but that seems to be the standard workflow even if the file ends up being several GB (in my case approx 9 GB), so I will do it that way instead, since it seems hard to correctly reference the files of a different drive. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Beasley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #6734 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: How to reference audio guy's new hard drive folders
Hi Granadillo,

The media location feature is used to give X2Pro access to any files/media in the folders you add. This is used because of Apples application sandboxing, you can find more information about that here https://x2pro.net/sandboxing.html .

You only need to send the "Pro Tools operator" the AAF file, all of the audio will be contained inside of it and they do not need the source files. Although, if you wanted to use the "reference WAV files in place" with his Hard Drive, then you would need access to it,yes.

I hope this helped.

• Granadillo
  • Granadillo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 6 months ago #6729 by Granadillo
Granadillo created the topic: How to reference audio guy's new hard drive folders
Hello,

I am new to X2Pro and I am confused about the media location feature. I have a big FCP project that references lots of different folders of video and audio, and the audio files reference a bunch of different folder of sound effects, music, dialogue, ADR etc.
Now that I export my XML and use X2Pro to create an AAF for Pro Tools, I want do hand over a new hard drive to my "Pro Tools operator" where I thought I would put all the sound files in different folders. But it will probably not have the same folder structure as my video project drive.
How do I instruct X2Pro so that Pro Tools can find all the folders and files on his hard drive? I cannot create a FCP project directly connected to his drive (and then export the XML), that would be too much relinking of files.

I know there is this feature of "Media Location" in X2Pro. Is this correctly understood: I need to have his drive connected to my computer when creating the AAF and in X2Pro add the newly created folders on that drive as "media locations"?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds