MP4 from the Sony A7s

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2591 by Graeme Robinson
Graeme Robinson replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
X2Pro version 3 (with uncompressed audio in an MP4 file support) has just been released in the app store as a free upgrade
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Graeme Robinson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #2534 by Graeme Robinson
You're right, it will also work if the original media is in an external folder, but if it's in multiple external folders, you would have to do a find/replace on multiple paths.

I don't have a date for the release that uses AVFoundation (so that it can cope with compressed audio in an MP4 wrapper, e.g. A7S clips), but I can tell you that it is currently being developed and is very likely to be in the next update.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2532 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
It wa an exemple and i think it work even if media are in external folder.
reading the XML you can easily find the good thing to copy (thing like DISK/ALLMEDIAFROMMYFILM/ Original%Media/ ...) and replace by (thing like "DISK/ALLMEDIAFROMMYFILM/ Transcoded%Media/ ...)

(and if not, it's easy to "consolidate" media into Library without any copy because of hardlink)

It work with resolve even with "external media".

I'm waiting for an A7S smile to try the round that.

When do you think X2Pro will be able to work with AVFoundation ? An idea ?

Martin
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by jeansemeur.

• Graeme Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #2530 by Graeme Robinson
Thanks, that will work as long as you have copied all the media to the library when as was imported.

More
8 years 7 months ago #2529 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
You can try something that is not so hard:

1. find where are original media
example :home/Movies/my%film.fcpbundle/MY%PROJECTS/Original%20Media/1234.mov
2. find where are your transcode media: it will be probably on this way:
home/Movies/my%film.fcpbundle/PROJETS/Tanscoded%20Media/1234.mov
(something like that)
Before giving your xml to X2Pro, make a copy of it.
Open it with TexEdit.
"Search" (Commande+F) for "/MY%PROJECTS/Original%20Media/" and "replace all" by "/MY%PROJECTS/Tanscoded%20Media/".
Save and give this XML to X2Pro.
It work when you want Resolve point on Optimized media. Maybe it will work with X2Pro.
martin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graeme Robinson

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #2504 by Jeremy Norwood
Jeremy Norwood replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
The FCPXML only references the original media. There is no way to make FCP X to create an FCPXML that references optimized or proxy media. If there was, that would be a great workaround, but it's just not possible.
As I mentioned before X2Pro will be moving to use AVFoundation for most audio extraction so it will support the A7s created clips without any workarounds.
For now your easiest workaround would be to rename your MP4 files to MOV files and re-link to them. That would allow you to do it all at 1 lot without having to re-import each file.

• Shotframe
  • Shotframe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #2502 by Shotframe
Shotframe replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
Thank you for your feedback...
I am aware of what a wrapper is and what a codec is.
The question still remains why the transcoded media which is MOV (mov wrapper and codec proress 422 ) is not read by x2pro but rather the original media...

FCPX's timeline reads the optimised media thus the XML should also carry that information (in theory of course).

Can the option perhaps not be to add a tick box to read only the transcoded media?

I do foresee problem arising with more and more people wanting to use the A7s camera. In a timeline relinking manually to mp4 files (my last project was 600 clips - and doing each one individually would be irritatingly boring)

• Jeremy Norwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #2500 by Jeremy Norwood
Jeremy Norwood replied the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
My apologies for the delay in response.
The following are a few points to clarify a few things:
  • MP4 audio is not a thing. MP4 is a container (very similar to MOV) not an audio codec.
  • If the MP4 file contains PCM audio, X2Pro can cope with it (because QTKit can cope with it). If the MP4 contains audio that is compressed, X2Pro cannot cope with it (because QTKit cannot cope with it).
  • Sony A7s creates MP4 files that contain compressed audio, which is why X2Pro can't cope with it.

The problem is because X2Pro uses Apple's QTKit framework to extract the audio, and QTKit doesn't like uncompressed audio in an MP4 file (which is what the A7S creates). QuickTime Player 7 is also not able to open/play the clip because it too uses QTKit. QuickTime Player X uses Apple's AVFoundation Framework (which does support uncompressed audio in an MP4 wrapper), so it is able to play the file, as you have seen. X2Pro will soon be moving to use AVFoundation for most audio extraction so it will support the A7S created clips without any workarounds.

For now, a workaround that some users have reported success with is to backup their project and media, change the file extension of all their A7S clips from MP4 to MOV and then tell FCP X to relink the clip used in their project to those MOV files. After doing this, and exporting a new FCPXML, X2Pro should be able to process it. This works because an MP4 is basically a MOV, and QTKit is happy to process MOV files with uncompressed audio.

Thank you for your post.
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Graeme Robinson. Reason: Changed all instances of "uncompressed" to "compressed" (used strikethrough) because it was incorrect information otherwise

• Shotframe
  • Shotframe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #2436 by Shotframe
Shotframe created the topic: MP4 from the Sony A7s
MP4 audio doesn't export in the aaf. Have to manually relink to proress but why can't x2pro automatically just read the proress files?

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds