Preserving Stereo Clips

More
6 years 1 month ago #6260 by Graeme
Graeme replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
OK - Here's my work-around. I really needed to get this working today.

1. in FCPX export an fcpxml (I used none as the metadata view - which seems to work just fine).
2. then use X2PRO to generate an AAF file using the fcpxml and the project's fcpbundle. This AAF file now includes all the audio everything except the stereo files as stereo (as X2PRO doesn't prerserve stereo - the subject of this thread and makes them dual mono instead).
3. in Logic Pro X the sound guy imports the AAF which loads up the audio clips including those dual mono files.
4. then continuing in Logic Pro X the sound guy makes another project using the import fcpxml and the project's fcpbundle - which brings across everything including stereo sound files in stereo but doesn't bring the mxf files, which I needed and why I purchased X2PRO two days ago.
5. the sound guy appears happy and yours truely leaves the room and lets the sound guy take the stereo from the second project and drop it into the first project. I'm happy, sound guy is happy and most importantly the director and producers are happy.

I'm still left wondering what the difference is between dual mono and stereo (not much as far as I can tell- except the stereo file moves as one which I guess prevents weird noises from happening if the sound guy isn't very careful.

Your results may vary but I hope someone finds this workaround a lot less confusing than me. I've also put this in here to document my experience for the next time I need this. cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #6253 by Graeme
Graeme replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
As this issue appears to be about 2 years old, is there a useful work-around for this? I only purchased X2PRO yesterday because the sound engineer can't process mxf files in Logic Pro X (from a Canon C300) and the project has other stereo audio files (effects and music) all over it.

Possibly too much information but hopefully keywords in here will help others when they google various words like Dual Mono and Stereo and mxf like I've been doing for two days now.

Oh yeh - the feature request is a big plus 1 from me too.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

More
6 years 3 months ago #6126 by pete_del
pete_del replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
+1 on this feature for me. I work on projects with a lot of stereo music & fx clips, so it would make things much more manageable when sorting the incoming AAF into my ProTools session

More
6 years 6 months ago #5835 by Ian M
Ian M replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
Yes, I must say this would save a lot of time and make it easier to see tracks which are in stereo and which are mono. Of course within roles some clips could be stereo some mono, or double mono, but maybe you could assign a stereo track if any clip is stereo, and mono to mono or double mono clips in roles? I am getting a lot of duplication of mono tracks as 2 identical mono tracks. Which is quite confusing when some are mono and some are stereo.

More
6 years 6 months ago #5810 by Natha
Natha replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
I would also love to have an option to preserve stereo tracks. Some of my sound engineers don't like to only get mono tracks... Especially when we're doing broadcast works. (Where speed is vital)

Any ETA on this functionality ?

More
7 years 4 months ago #4625 by keddolls
keddolls replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
I would very much appreciate that option also!

More
7 years 10 months ago #4019 by tamtamstudio
tamtamstudio replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
this is what is needed today..
Take a look how it export to ProTools in DaVinci resolve 12.5 or avid media Composer

It will send stereo tracks as well the main video track in MXF or else, it isn't nicely?

Corrado Magalotti
Tam Tam Studio

• RyanK
  • RyanK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 2 months ago #3425 by RyanK
RyanK replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
I, for one, would really appreciate that option!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3418 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
Dear Ryan, currently we only support creation of mono in the AAF, there are a number of reasons for this and the two main ones are because stereo wasn't very well supported in AAF when we were first started building the code, and we felt it was better for the audio editor to decide on panning.

I guess it is an open question to the forum if there is a desire for Stereo support then we can look at what would be needed to add it.

• RyanK
  • RyanK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 2 months ago #3415 by RyanK
RyanK created the topic: Preserving Stereo Clips
Is there a way to preserve stereo clips in the AAF export rather than have them split into 2x mono clips? I've seen some posts asking about this and I assume there haven't been any updates to the program since I just purchased it a couple days ago. I'm exporting a project from FCPX to Logic. Any workarounds, advice, or tips would be much appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds