Logic Pro X / Pro Tools AAF import inconsistencies

More
7 years 10 months ago #4173 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Logic Pro X / Pro Tools AAF import inconsistencies
Dear VanDaven,

Thanks for that I have added your information to our investigation for possible implementation of "true" support for Logic Pro X (our ticket 5706).

Yours Sincerely

James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VanDaven
  • VanDaven's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #4167 by VanDaven
VanDaven created the topic: Logic Pro X / Pro Tools AAF import inconsistencies
Even though there have been multiple requests for an improved Logic Pro X compatibility, I want to add my latest findings to the list:

I am currently working on the audio post of a larger project (90 min documentary) and I finally decided to give it a go in Logic Pro X thanks to Avid's inability to release a useable Pro Tools 12 version for OSX 10.11.5. It is a bit of an issue when you only have one Mac Pro in the studio that has to take care of video editing and audio mixing duties I guess...

The project I am working on has up to 5 different cameras and multichannel audio from a Sound Devices 788T that was TC-synced to the main camera via Timecode Systems miniTRX+ units.

Here's a display of the inconsistencies I encountered upon import:

• Referenced AAF via X2Pro: In LPX, the multichannel .wav file from the 788T is interpreted as surround audio, all the audio files that are supposed to be mono channels are displayed as surround channels. Appears fine in PTHD.

• Embedded AAF via X2Pro: In LPX, the multichannel .wav files appear as mono files as expected. Unfortunately, all the regions have similar names despite the fact that the audio files have different names. The only way to find out which part is which channel of the 788T recorder is to open the audio bin and check the name of the actual .wav that is contained within the region. That is rather inconvenient as the sound recordist was not always recording all of the possible 12 tracks (stereo mix, 8 individual ISO inputs and stereo AUX mix) on the 788T.

It's interesting to note that only the .wav files coming from the 788T have a timecode stamp and the ones from the cameras don't.

When importing the AAF into Pro Tools and exporting an AAF again from Pro Tools, all audio files have a timecode stamp and the proper region name. Clip gain is not transferred, unfortunately.

Maybe there's a way to export a Logic-compatible AAF from X2Pro soon, it would be so much of a helper.

Thanks a lot,

regards,

Martin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds