Ability to remove disabled ranges

More
7 years 5 months ago #4562 by angus.anderson
angus.anderson replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
Hi
We send broadcast programs most weeks to dub at external post houses. The feedback that I have received is that I have received from the main dubbing house is that they quite like the way it is as it means that they don't have to trim the clips to make fixes. That being said I think it is quite an individual preference and both ways would be useful.
cheers angus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #4542 by Valfrost
Valfrost replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
As an editor who has cut 3 feature films using FCPX and is about to start a 4th, this feature would be greatly utilized by myself and several editor friends I know!

Many thanks James!

More
7 years 5 months ago #4515 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
Dear Robin,

Have raised as a ticket (6728) and will await review from Product Management and advise.

Yours sincerely

James

• Robin Moran
  • Robin Moran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #4514 by Robin Moran
Robin Moran replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
Hi,

The muted sections do help but I'm trying to get the slices to be like from Media Composer to ProTools. I've attached a screenshot of a simulation of what the slices might look like if the disabled sections came across as slices.

Best,
-Robin
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4431 by jeansemeur
jeansemeur replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
Hi,
i'm not sure to really understand the problem with that (i don't understand very well english. Maybe it's the reason)

In the two images her, you can see that all disable ranges are translated in ProTools in volume at -96dB. So ti's a good thing..

When you discuss with sound mixer, some are more ok with this way of working. Having all the file with automation translated from FCP X.
But maybe in fact, it could be a good idea to add the ability to "cut" the original multichannel waw files in several one in order that they appear like separate audio segments in Protools.When audio edit is well done, it can be a big time saver for audio mixer. So a second option like "disable mute audio RANGE" could be a good idea.
But i'm afraid by the idea that it will lose metadata of the original waw files...(it's another question that you could precise more in your FAQ. How you can keep metadata when splitting a multichannel file in several unique files" (i think it's X2Pro way of doing in general for all multichannel file, even they are not mute. A multichannel is broken appart in several www file) . You could explain more about what metadata are transmitted...
An other thing (sorry to add that, but it concerns also what is "mute", "disable" or "unselect" in the timeline)
As i said in a previous post,. a third option could be " enable/disable unselected audio angle for multciam". At this time, if we want to export ALL audio angles (even those that are not selected in the audio configuration in our current edit), we have to selected them all before in FCP X and as you know, you have to do it one by one (for each multicam in the edit) and even clic every angle for each multicam (no way to do that to a group nether to "selecte all angle" because FCPX doesn't have a short cut for that... i think). So it's very very long work. But we spoke about that and as you said, you may work on that if several people are interested on it)..

So 3 option or just one but in this last case, considering that the current "disable discard clips" option would consider "disable lips", "mute audio range" and "unselect multicam audio angle". I personnaly think 3 options are better than only one. It's only what i think.

Martin Gosset.
sorry for my bad english.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by jeansemeur.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4430 by James Carrick
Would be very grateful if anyone else could express an interest in this functionality.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4429 by mikematzdorff
mikematzdorff replied the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
HI James,
I think FCPX's ability to carry multichannel wav files and disable ranges is a great feature.

x2pro support would be a great extension of that.

does x2pro support volume graphing on tracks within a multi ch wav?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valfrost

More
7 years 6 months ago #4404 by James Carrick
Dear Robin,

I believe you have disabled ranges within a clip, whereas we only have the option to remove disabled clips.

If you disable ranges, we will process them as automation gain, so there is no way to actually discard it, but it will be present in the AAF at -96db.

We can look at adding this as a feature, however that will need a few other users to comment on how important this functionality would be for them.

Hope the above helps

Yours sincerely

James.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valfrost

• Robin Moran
  • Robin Moran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4403 by Robin Moran
Robin Moran created the topic: Ability to remove disabled ranges
Hi,

I recently did an edit where I FCPXML out and used X2Pro to create the AAF. What I found was that by disabling sections of dialogue was no different than Volume Graphing. I've selected Discard disabled audio and it still came across as a giant slice. What am I doing wrong? I've tried with the default 2 second handle, 1 second and no handles. All came across the same. The pics will show that the early part of the video should have more Yellow and Red slices.

Here's my software combination:
OSX 10.11.6
FCPX 10.2.3
X2Pro 3.0.13
ProTools 11.3.1.370

I've been discussing this problem via Twitter with Mike Matzdorff and we both are stumped. Please advise.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Robin Moran.

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds