Clips missing from Browser

• jProd
  • jProd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 4 months ago #6021 by jProd
jProd replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Thanks for the clarification, I guess I have never really used the import XML feature before.

I actually tried to import the clips by selecting them from the hard drive and dragging them in. This obviously works but I think FCPX got a bit confused regarding the orange bar it uses to show if a clip is used in the timeline. Also my clips were stored in my library file so makes it a little trickier using finder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #6020 by magentastudios
magentastudios replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Thanks for this reply! I didn’t realize Final Cut didn’t automatically generate thumbnails on importing a project; thank you for the clarification.

Thank you also for adding this as a feature request. Perfect!

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #6017 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Hi jProd, magentastudios,

To confirm Final Cut Pro X has never, to the best of our knowledge, automatically generated thumbnails on import of a project, so unfortunately if you do need to see the thumbnails you would need to open them up individually in the browser for FCPX to create them.

I have requested as a feature to be able to locate and copy off the thumbnails and reimport them.

Regards,

Daniel
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Daniel Beasley.

• jProd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 4 months ago #6016 by jProd
Yes reveal in browser works but what if I cutting a 100 clip project, I can't be expected to do this on every clip. Latest version of OSX / FCPX, new iMac - 2017. Seems like a bug.

More
6 years 4 months ago #6015 by magentastudios
magentastudios replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
I am a new user (just bougght Worx4 X yesterday) and to my delight it worked perfectly — except that I don't have any clips in the browser when re-importing the exported XML into FCPX. Am I doing something wrong, or is this how the software is supposed to work?

Like other users, I was expecting to see pretty much exactly what I had in the browser before exporting the XML — all the clips, stills, audio, and other types of media in the timeline — but less of it (i.e. without the extraneous media). I appreciate the reduction in space and the intact timeline, but I would like to see the clips and other media in the browser.

So please tell me — is the software working as expected or should I be seeing the media files in the browser after reimporting Worx4 X's trimmed package?

More
6 years 4 months ago #6001 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Dear jProd,

Does the "reveal in browser" method still work, it will be a pain but at least it will give you what you need, what version of FCPX and OS are you running ?

Thanks

• jProd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5998 by jProd
HI James, thanks for your reply, but it appears that FCPX is NOT creating the thumbnails. Do I have to do anything to get FCPX to recreate the thumbnails, right now I have a timeline and no clips in the browser - seems like a bug. I've opened and closed FCPX still no thumbnails and also tried to relink the media.

More
6 years 5 months ago #5995 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Dear jProd,

When you import the XML, it is just that an XML its not a library so we expect the timeline to be there linking to the trimmed media, and yes it will not initially have thumbnails as they were not exported or then re-imported so FCPX will need to create them again.

Hope the above helps.

Yours sincerely

James

• jProd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5992 by jProd
jProd created the topic: Clips missing from Browser
Just did an export of a project and import. I got a near perfect timeline with all clips on the timeline but the browser is empty of any thumbnails. If I do a right click on a clip in the timeline and select "Reveal in Browser" the clip thumbnail is created.

Do I have to re import the clips? My setting are to store the footage inside the Library. Latest version of FCPX.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds