Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF

More
5 years 6 months ago #6787 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF
Dear Sadmac,

Regarding the "Discard inactive clips" this should only work for clips that have been made inactive in the audio inspector panel in FCPX.

Yours sincerely

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SadMac
  • SadMac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #6786 by SadMac
SadMac replied the topic: Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF
Hi Daniel.
I apologize for not responding you so long!
Was very busy on the project and I forget about my ticket here on the forum.

Now I'm not sure which of the AAFs cause the trouble then (there is some mess in my folders). But the following tests didn't get ProTools to crush anymore.

As for A, B, Z tracks - in the end, I left only Z sound input in multicams in FCPX and then get adequately looking AAF in ProTools. If I make all multicams sound active (as sound guy wants) then ProTools gets disordered tracks. As I see it's because FCPX assign automatic roles to the clips, and I need to change them before multicams.

To avoid the mess in tracks I exported AAF for ProTools twice - one with Z cam active and one with A & B cam active. Then sound guy import these 2 AAF and get all of Z tracks in order, then A & B trucks in order.

So, as I see, when we need to get Z, A & B tracks in the order in ProTools, it's important to assign in FCPX different roles to them, not the same. (As a default, each tracks of A & B get roles Dialogue-1, Dialogue_2, Dialogue-3, etc, but Z tracks get roles Boom-1, Boom-2, Lavalier-1, etc).

The one thing stayed unclear to me - the X2Pro option "Discard inactive clips" - whenever it's on or off nothing changes in AAF result. Do I need to do another topic for this?

Thanks for attention (and sorry for my English)
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by SadMac.

More
5 years 6 months ago #6783 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF
Hi Sadmac,

Is this still an issue for you? If so, to investigate this we would need a copy of the aaf that crashes Pro Tools.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #6683 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF
Hi SadMac,

Would you be able to forward us a copy of your aaf file? I will email you some details :)

As for the duplicating tracks, if your audio is stereo, in Pro Tools it will be displayed as two separate mono channels instead, giving you two tracks. Apologies if I have misunderstood the issue you are seeing.

Has your xml file been through any other software before X2Pro?
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Daniel Beasley.

• SadMac
  • SadMac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #6675 by SadMac
SadMac created the topic: Trying to get all tracks from multicam and ProTools 12 crushes with AAF
Hello!
A new X2Pro user here : )

I have multicam clips in FCPX with mix of active and inactive sound from A cam & B cam and Z sound recorder.
I want to see in ProTools only active tracks from A, B, Z.
After importing AAF from X2Pro to ProTools the sound guy sees only one mic source in all tracks - all lower tracks duplicate the upper tracks. So, we get not 4 mic inputs from cam A, but 4 tracks of the same 1 input. And for the B & Z the same.
And ProTools 12 freezes and crashes after that very soon.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong in X2Pro or FCPX?

In attachments you can check my xml and setting of X2Pro:
I set it to trim embedded, checked all checkboxes in General ("Discard inactive clips" and so on), in Handling unchecked "Reference multi-channel WAV", choose "Embedded media, optionally trimming" and "Generate a warning..."

If it's important:
A and B have from 3-4 to 6 tracks in mov, Z has from 4 to 8 mono tracks in multi-channel wav.

Next step I'll try in FCPX to check only Z input in multicams and in X2Pro uncheck "Discard inactive clips" - maybe this is the way ProTools will get all the tracks, right?

Thanks for attention!
And sorry for my English: )
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by SadMac.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds