Protools ChannelName issue

More
5 years 3 months ago #6859 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Protools ChannelName issue
The short answer is this is an issue with Pro Tools, I had a developer look at this and his explanation is below:

"We do not apply these channel names to any particular track. We supply them as UserComments on the multi-channel MasterMob in the AAF. ProTools picks up the channel names and applies them to whatever track it wants to. Clearly it does not always get them right. It is probably not helped by the fact that the WAV file contains channel names for tracks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 10, 13 and 14 when there are only 8 tracks."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #6854 by knurrrrrrt
knurrrrrrt replied the topic: Protools ChannelName issue
For my Colleagues it has worked after they installed the new ProTools 18.10

You might want to try the Stijn!

More
5 years 3 months ago #6853 by knurrrrrrt
knurrrrrrt replied the topic: Protools ChannelName issue
Any news on this issue? We have the same problem here!

More
5 years 3 months ago #6849 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Protools ChannelName issue
Hi Stijn,

Would you be able to send us your source clips so we can reproduce the issue here?I will email you some FTP details.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Gonzo
  • Gonzo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #6848 by Gonzo
Gonzo created the topic: Protools ChannelName issue
Hi,

I’m a pro-tools re-recording mixer / editing supervisor. I just started a new project which was edited on FCPX and exported by X2PRO.
Great! AAF is opening; everything is in the session; handles; filenames and even channel names.

BUT … something goes wrong here!

X2pro messes up the metadata in the channel name field. I know it’s getting confusing but please allow me to explain it in detail.

All channel names in FCP are correct and when I’m importing the original wav file in protools; the channel names are correct to; but the clips from x2pro aren’t.
What happens? It all has to do with the channel numbers of the original sound file / fieldrecorder.
ie. if a 6 track wav file is recorded on the first 6 audio tracks and are named in the metadata as “TRACK1”, and so on; everything works just fine.
BUT if these 6 tracks were recorded on audio-track 1,2,3,4,10,11 with tracks 6 to 9 disarmed, resulting in the same 6 track poly file;
X2PRO put these clips in the right order but will mess up the ChannelName metadata! It will put tracks 10 & 11 in between 1&2 !
So although the audio in these clips are right, the description isn’t. It will show:
TRACK1
TRACK10
TRACK11
TRACK2
TRACK3
TRACK4

but in fact audio is, and channelnames should be:
TRACK1
TRACK2
TRACK3
TRACK4
TRACK10
TRACK11

I hope you get the picture, but I’ll show you another example:
at the left you see the aaf import; at the right the wav file.
[see attachment]

The armed tracks on the field recorder were 1/2/3/7/8/10/13/14.
You will notice that x2pro is putting the channel names from recordertrack 10/13/14 in between 1 and 2, although the audio in the clips stay correct/the same.
(the labelling of A1-A14 is messed up too !)

This is the 4th project I’m doing with this workflow and I already encountered this 3 years ago; and now I’m still wasting time on this. Without this data, we have to listen to every single clip to know what it is ! Frustrating.
Can you please fix this? Can’t be that difficult to adjust, no? (nr 10 and 11 don’t belong between 1 and 2 !)

I can provide you some files if this helps, and I hope you could fix this very soon!

kind regards,
Stijn
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds