Pro Tools won't open my AAF file

More
4 years 2 months ago #7308 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
Dear Jfritter,

Have you received the AAF yet ?

Yours sincerely

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jfritter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #7306 by jfritter
jfritter replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
I'm using Pro Tools 2019.5. I actually just found out that the picture editor had zipped together the AAF along with the initial XML and txt file. Initially, I tried to unzip it, but my computer threw this error (on a Mac): "Unable to expand '' into [file name-selected]'. (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)". I assumed maybe the .zip had gotten tacked on by accident somehow. So, I changed the file extension to .aaf and then tried to import it. Then I got the Pro Tools error message. I'm having the editor send me just the AAF file by itself, and we'll see how that goes. A little strange that my computer couldn't uncompress his .zip file, though.[file name]' into '. (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)". I assumed maybe the .zip had gotten tacked on by accident somehow. So, I changed the file extension to .aaf and then tried to import it. Then I got the Pro Tools error message. I'm having the editor send me just the AAF file by itself, and we'll see how that goes. A little strange that my computer couldn't uncompress his .zip file, though.[file name-selected]'. (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)".

I assumed maybe the .zip had gotten tacked on by accident somehow. So, I changed the file extension to .aaf and then tried to import it. Then I got the Pro Tools error message.

I'm having the editor send me just the AAF file by itself, and we'll see how that goes. A little strange that my computer couldn't uncompress his .zip file, though.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by jfritter.

More
4 years 2 months ago #7303 by TimRobson
TimRobson replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
What version of ProTools are you using? Could you send us a copy of the AAF? (I can provide a secure upload location if you can).

• jfritter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #7302 by jfritter
jfritter replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
Hi Daniel,

I'm also having the same issue. I recently received an AAF from an editor that I tried to open in Pro Tools. He had created the AAF by converting an fcpxxml with the X2Pro converter. When I tried to open it in Pro Tools, I got the same error message: "Could not complete your request because it does not contain data that can be imported via Import Session Data..". He did not have any issues exporting the AAF (the program did not crash or anything). What do you recommend we try and do?

Jack

More
4 years 6 months ago #7169 by Daniel Beasley
Daniel Beasley replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
Apologies for the slow response,

We have been struggling to figure out what is going on with your AAF. A couple things worth checking, Is your Mac running out of memory when creating the aaf file? This could cause it to stop writing the aaf file suddenly and crash X2Pro. Did anything change from when you successfully created the aaf without crashing and when it did crash?

• Elderberry
  • Elderberry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 7 months ago #7164 by Elderberry
Elderberry replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
I just recreated the xml file as you asked (with xml version 1.8). Then I ran X2Pro to derive an AAF file. X2Pro created an AAF file of about 550 megabytes, then it crashed.

I deleted X2Pro from my computer then re-downloaded it from the Apple Store. But that does not help - exactly the same thing happens: X2Pro creates an AAF file and crashes right after.

I hope the Apple crash report that I sent you is helpful. Please let me know what you and your developer find out.

More
4 years 7 months ago #7158 by Daniel Beasley
It wont let you attach the AAF because it is most likely too large to attach to the forum.

I get the same error message you receive when trying to open it in Pro Tools so I have asked one of the developers to take a look and see if he can spot the problem.

Would it be possible for you to try recreating the XML file to see if that has the same issue?

• Elderberry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 7 months ago #7154 by Elderberry
Elderberry replied the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
Yes, please send me the FTP details.

I was convinced I had uploaded the AAF file with my original post, but the upload seems not to have gone through. And whenever I try to attach it now, the "Submit" button gets greyed out.

X2Pro did not create a separate text file.

Also, I just restarted my computer and attempted to re-create the AAF file, but X2Pro crashed twice in a row. This did not happen three days ago, when I created the file I am trying to attach.

I have an Apple crash report that I'd be happy to share with you if that helps. You'd have to send me your email address, because I don't know how sensitive the info in the report is, and I don't want to upload it to a public forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Beasley

More
4 years 7 months ago #7153 by Daniel Beasley
Would you be able to send us the AAF file and the txt file X2Pro should have created alongside it?

I can provide with FTP details to upload them to if needed.

• Elderberry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 7 months ago #7152 by Elderberry
Elderberry created the topic: Pro Tools won't open my AAF file
Please help me open my AAF file in Pro Tools.

I created a project in Final Cut Pro X, version 10.4.6 on Mac OS Mojave, version 10.14.6. To do my audio post in Pro Tools, I exported an xml of the project, first using xml version 1.8, then version 1.7. Next, in X2Pro Audio Convert (version 4.2.2) I specified the xml file as the source file and launched conversion to aaf, and an aaf file was created.

But I have not been able to open this file in Pro Tools (version 2019.6.0) (I used File > Open Session, then browsed for the aaf file). The error message I get is this: “Could not complete your request because it does not contain data that can be imported via Import Session Data.” The xml file does not seem to be the problem – I tried re-importing it into Final Cut, and it read the file just fine.

So the problem seems to be somewhere between X2Pro and Pro Tools. Please help me. Thank you!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds