Mutlicam through edits and gaps in ProTools

More
4 years 2 months ago #7359 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Mutlicam through edits and gaps in ProTools
Dear MZTVPD,

Many thanks its the "gaps" that we want to investigate, as they shouldn't be happening.

Many thanks.

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MZTVPD
  • MZTVPD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #7358 by MZTVPD
MZTVPD replied the topic: Mutlicam through edits and gaps in ProTools
Thank you for your reply. We've established a fairly simple workaround for the through-edits. We simply Join Clips for all Video with the Timeline Index, export the XML and Undo once to revert the timeline.

The actual edits (not through edits) still yield these 1ms gaps and the conversion from fractions to decimals makes sense as an explanation. It's still unnerving to see this because all it would take is 33 instances of this and the audio would be 1 frame out sync. If the gaps were just gaps part of a continuous track it wouldn't be such an issue, but they appear to be adding time and thus causing drift.

Our XMLs are of long 44 minute concerts with a 12+ audio tracks. Let me see if I can generate a simple one with the issue and I'll post it here.

More
4 years 2 months ago #7356 by James Carrick
James Carrick replied the topic: Mutlicam through edits and gaps in ProTools
Dear MZTVPD,

I will start with the easy question first if ok, fundamentally FCP uses fractions and ProTools uses mili-seconds as such we have to convert from one to the other, and in theory due to rounding errors could be 1mS out. Would you be able to send an XML where this occurs please ?

Regarding multicam, yes we should only send the active audio angle, however if the FCP has created through edits we will slavishly follow and add all the individual clips that the XML tells us are referenced, I guess this can be compounded by our need to shuffle up the audio in ProTools so we don't use so many tracks. Is this what you are seeing ?

Yours Sincerely

james

• MZTVPD
  • MZTVPD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #7354 by MZTVPD
MZTVPD created the topic: Mutlicam through edits and gaps in ProTools
Our department is exploring using Final Cut Pro X for a multicam concert production along with X2Pro to send to audio-post. Few issues have come up.

First, due to the nature of FCPX multicam clips and how every angle change creates a through edit (even when Audio source is fixed to a single Angle), the resulting AAF is cluttered with unnecessary splits/edits at every video change in ProTools. We are talking about 300+ edits of which only 10% are actual edits. What would be the solution to eliminate these through edits in the AAF?

Second, it also seems that every other through edit in ProTools inserts a 1ms gap when importing the AAF. Over the course of an hour, this can result in a 5 frame drift (depending on number of through edits). What would be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds