Extracting Audio from RED media in the timeline...

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #578 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: Re: Extracting Audio from RED media in the timeline...
David,

We're just starting to do some testing of new RED support in X2Pro. The more R3D files we have, the more thorough we can be in our testing.

Were you able to record any more in the different frame rates?

Regards

Graeme Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• battistella
  • battistella's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 2 days ago #540 by battistella
battistella replied the topic: Re: Extracting Audio from RED media in the timeline...
OK.

Im uploading the first four shots now. SHould be about 4 hours. These are all at framerate of 24. I will get you 23.98 material next and then I'll record some 59.94 when I have a chance.

David

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #539 by graeme robinson
graeme robinson replied the topic: Re: Extracting Audio from RED media in the timeline...
David, I've sent you a private message with FTP details.

Thanks for your help

• battistella
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 2 days ago #538 by battistella
battistella replied the topic: Re: Extracting Audio from RED media in the timeline...
Graeme,

If you get me those FP details I will send you some files this evening.

David

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #507 by graeme robinson
Thanks David,

It would be great if we could get hold of some with different audio settings (e.g. bit depth/sample rates) and/or video settings (frame rates/resolutions), all those could be a few seconds like you suggest. A couple of longer ones would be useful too, but obviously the longer they are the bigger they get and the longer they would take to upload/download.

Basically a varied bunch of everything would be most useful, but whatever is practical for you provide would be much appreciated.
Last Edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by graeme robinson.

• battistella
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #506 by battistella
You bet.

I'll try to keep them short. How long do you need each one to be? Like would 2-3 seconds each be ok?

David

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 3 weeks ago #504 by graeme robinson
We're working on supporting extraction of audio from r3d files in X2Pro. It would be great if we could get a few samples from users who want this feature.

Is anyone able to supply some R3D sample files? I can give FTP details if necessary.

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 weeks ago #487 by graeme robinson
Yes, that should work. Just make sure you disable all the audio for the r3d clips in the inspector panel of FCP X (rather than just muting the clip) otherwise X2Pro will still try to extract the audio from it.

• battistella
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #486 by battistella
Thanks for staying with this Graeme.

I think the very best thing to do might be this.

In Redcine X create and audio export preset.
Export, render the audio out of the r3d file the individual .wav or .aiff files
import the audio and sync it to the video (creating a double system out of single system)
Once the sync is complete, edit as normal.
X2Pro should have no problem seeing the audio in this way if the tracks of the R3D are not used.

David
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by battistella.

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #485 by graeme robinson
Another workaround could be to import the r3d files to an event and create optimized or proxy versions on the import and edit as normal (if optimized or proxy versions were not created on import, they can be done later by choosing to “Transcode Media”).

Once the edit has been finished, back up the events and projects. Now delete or move all r3d files so that the clips show as offline in the event library and project. Make copies of (or move) all proxy of optimized versions of the clips and then relink the offline r3d clips to these copies (you must make copies of, or move, the proxy/optimized clips that you plan to relink to, rather than relink to the files in the “High Quality Media” or “Proxy Media” folders otherwise the clips you relink to will, for some reason, be deleted by FCP X and the clips will remain offline).

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #476 by graeme robinson
That is exactly right, implementing the RED SDK in order to read r3d files is not a small task, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

• battistella
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #475 by battistella
Yes. It would be nice if the playback settings did affect the export settings, or at least that this would be user selectable. This problem would be immediately solved.

Extracting from the R3D is probably a larger task that would involve the RED SDK, etc.

David

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #474 by graeme robinson
That would be nice if FCP X did that, but the only preferences I can see like that are for playback and don't affect export...

• battistella
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #473 by battistella
Cool Graeme,

I just needing/wanting to find an intermediate strategy.

Of course a very easy path would be this:

FCP X considers the preferences when generating the XML. IE,

High quality media = link to R3D
Proxy media = Link to Proxy files

This would make sense. and easily allow your software to extract the QT media without all kinds of workarounds. I mean, the software should make our lives a bit easier, shouldn't it?

David
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by battistella.

• graeme robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #472 by graeme robinson
Would this have to take place Prior to the editing process?
Yes

In other words the workflow would look like this.

Import R3D media
Create proxy or optimized media.
Import optimized media into a NEW event.
Edit the material with media from the NEW event.
Export the XML
Audio is exported as QT via X2Pro, creating an A[A]F.

Yes

Would it be possible to edit the [FCPX]ML to replace the r3d with.mov files from the transcoded media folder?
I just tried this for a simple one clip project and it worked just fine, though this would be an unsupported use of X2Pro and hand editing the FCPXML files would be prone to human error.

A small utility to do this would be very handy.

I think clipfinder might be able to do this with an FCP 7 XML.

I'm not familiar with clipfinder, but if anyone was to create a tool to do this, I can't see how it could be very automatic in finding what to relink to because your r3d clips could be on your desktop and your mov files will be in your Final Cut Events folder, possibly with different names.
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by graeme robinson.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds